roof fabric cover material

I am looking for material to cover my roof of my 29 DB truck. Not sure of material but believe it to be called long grain cobra. The top requires 62" wide by 56" long and prefer not having  seams. The lengths should have additional 2"for edging.

1) Need a supplier.

2) What is the direction of the fabric grains?

.IMG_2910.thumb.JPG.7100f23d6f79f6cf84c0770986f2391b.JPG

The grain will always run front to back.  LeBaron Bonney has toppings, probably what you're looking for is the Colonial Grain.  The 62 inch width might be a problem, so talk to whoever you buy from and make sure of width.

https://www.lebaronbonney.com/cart/fabricbytheyard.php?Cc=TOPPING

You may have to contact Eric Haartz and see if he has any extra wide material.  He's very helpful to us old car guys.

http://www.haartz.com/introduction-restorers-guide  

The long/short cobra grain fabric is the most popular and easy to get. It usually comes in 60 in. widths. You may have to make 2 even seams the length of the roof which is not unusual for  avehicle like that. Restoration Specialties also carries that product along with the padding.

Thanks for your suggestions. I prefer to no seams in my roof and will continue to search for 66” wide roof fabric.

I found: 1) that LeBaron does not have at thIs time and will not get any until 1000 yds is available.

2) Eric Haartz stated they will round sample run of 66 “improved long-grain cobra fabric.

Eric is a great resource for old car guys.  His factory/factories are so busy he has a hard time making special runs of the old fabric, so it might be a while for him to get to it.  That's been my experience. 

Checking on material to place under roof cover. Was a heavy burlap used originally?

It was suggested to use a thin foam but I would think the intense heat generated by the black roof would eventually turn it to power.

Any suggestions on what to use?

Use a sturdy fabric over the wood, burlap is a little coarse but would work.  Over that, put a thin cotton batting.  You can buy that at most fabric shops, it's about 1/16 inch thick, it's used for quilting, you may wish to use two layers.  

You are smart not to use foam, it will disintegrate...

• Like 1