Please help identify this Lincoln Y-Block engine in my 1953 F600 Pickup

I just acquired a farm truck in relatively good condition.

1953 F600 Pickup / Flatbed.

Very cool truck and very original.  All metal is in great condition and very low rust.  Has the nice grille with the teeth !

Upon opening the hood, it seems to have a Lincoln Y-Block with a 2-bbl carb.

Although dirty on the top side, the engine is free and turns by hand.

The oil (dip stick) is very clean, smells good, no dirt or water.

The carburetor is clean and oily looking (not dirty or dusty).

When I removed the radiator cap, the radiator is wet and still smells of antifreeze.

I wouldn't think these old trucks originally came with a Lincoln motor and assume it was replaced at some point.

The only details I can find from searching on the internet, is that Lincoln made a y-block (368 ci) but I don't know much about them or what years they were made.

1.) Can anyone identify the engine from the photos below ?

2.) Are the plugs / wires / points / condenser compatible with anything else that I might be able to find at my local parts store ?

3.) Are these old engines known to be pretty good ?

4.) Can anyone identify that carburetor ?  I'll need to know what rebuild kit to buy.

I'm optimistic that I can get it going, but need to know a few details before I start ordering parts, plugs, points, wires, carburetor kit, etc..

Thanks in advance,

Mike Nelson

Denison, Tx

ACME Garage

IMG_3136.jpg.737cb4bd84baacf657f37a000e10760b.jpg

IMG_3137.jpg.73b6f2b008a954fdb58e041579155eaf.jpgIMG_3139.jpg.caf39c69d296223995e5d28a8ab627b2.jpg

IMG_3141.jpg

Edited by ACME Garage (see edit history)

The engine has all of the characteristics of a 52 Lincoln 317 cu.in. engine. 2 barrel carburetor, crossover pipe at top front of the engine and a single diaphragm vacuum advance. Those grooves are present on the 1952-1954 engine valve covers also. I am not sure about the 55 and 56 engine.

The 1953 F-750 and F800 used the same engine. The  F-600 would have had the flathead 239 V-8.

• Like 1

Thanks for the feedback, that makes sense.

I got it to kick off and run after the basics:

Plug Wires 

Plugs

Coil

Dist cap

New wiring from ignition switch 

New distributor wiring (Wire going through dist was shorting out)

New oil and filter

New battery and battery cables

Ran good and was pretty smooth after playing with the dist timing.

Now I have to figure fix the brakes / hoses / etc..

Not necessarily. There were several engines available in the F600, two which were Lincoln engines in '53. ACME posted some better photos of the carb on another forum and it's a 4 bbl without a governor which leads me to think it's originally from a car.

ACME, if you post a photo of the data plate, we could figure what engine came in the truck when it was built.

• Like 1

Follow up questions that I'm having a hard time figuring out:

1.) Brakes

Are the F600 brakes, rubber lines, wheel cylinders compatible with other ford trucks ?  I'm assuming the old F100 brakes are way too small.

2.) Clutch (This clutch works - but I would not trust it)

What other clutches would be compatible ?

3.) If this truck originally came with a Lincoln motor, would it have a matching vin ?  Did ford do that back in 53 ?

Thanks for any info

23 minutes ago, Bleach said:

Not necessarily. There were several engines available in the F600, two which were Lincoln engines in '53. ACME posted some better photos of the carb on another forum and it's a 4 bbl without a governor which leads me to think it's originally from a car.

ACME, if you post a photo of the data plate, we could figure what engine came in the truck when it was built.

Ask and ye shall receive !

Thanks for the info and here is the tag:

IMG-3205.JPG

• Like 1

You could try looking up the brake parts here: http://www.fordpartswiki.com/query

Use the single book category and select the 64 truck catalog.

You would need to know what engine you have for the clutch but you should be able to get a peek at the general clutch condition through the hole for the clutch fork.

The engine probably won't have a VIN on it, Ford didn't stamp VIN numbers on US built vehicles at the time. One source tells me they did on Canadian built vehicles though..

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bleach said:

The M after F60 means it had a 254 ci flat head 6 cylinder originally. That's why there's no V8 badge on your grille.

Good to know.

I was just looking up the VIN decoder and that confirms it.

It appears to still have the original (4 speed) trans with a huge 2-speed diff, I'm surprised the old Lincoln engine bolted up to the transmission bellhousing.  Maybe the Lincoln y-Block will mate up to all ford transmissions.  Interesting...

Thanks Again

• Like 1

According to the chassis parts catalog, the F-600 did not come with an OHV V-8 engine in 1953. The 317 cu in engine used in the F-750 and F-800 trucks used the same exhaust manifolds a the Lincoln engine. There were minor external differences in the assembled engine, so someone could have installed Lincoln valve covers on a truck engine.

The carburetor should have a part number on the base along with a list number. You will need both to order a kit, even though most Holley teapot kits did not use the list number.

The adapter plate from the block to the transmission is a Ford truck item. The back of the Lincoln block and the truck block are identical.