Replace points in 29' DeSoto K

GaryBudd

Not specific to your 29, but....

Pretty straight forward.

First take a picture.

Put the new ones in just like the old ones come out. Usually there will be a small bit of grease supplied with the new points, if there isn't (or is) put just a TINY dab on the distributor cam.

Sometimes the wires can be a pain but just be sure that they don't touch the housing anywhere.

The screws are tiny so I always keep a magnet handy.

Some distributors are easier to work on out of the engine or by taking the plate out of the distributor.

When you get them in there roll the engine over with the fan until one of the high lobes on the distributor cam lines up with the follower on the points set.

This is where you set the gap with a feeler gauge. (between the points with the follower on a high lobe).

Loosen the screw(s) that hold the points to the base, put the correct feeler gauge in between the points and then retighten the hold down screws. (always double check the gap after you have tightened the screws as the tightening can change the gap)

I have replaced a few point sets without a feeler gauge. You are usually looking for 15 or 20 thousandths. Maybe the thickness of a matchbook cover.

I used to hear an old mechanic guy tell a joke about using a dime to set his points gap. (or was it spark plug gaps} His helper took that advice but always had trouble with trying to use two nickels when he didn't have a dime.

• Like 2

My Grandfather had a small pearl handled folding knife.  He knew exactly where to use the blade to set the point gap and the spark plug gap.  I checked on him a few times and he was always right on.