Mystery coolant sensor/switch

skidd1000

I was looking under the hood of my '91 today and noticed a sensor in the intake manifold, drivers side,directly under the fuel pressure regulator that does not have any wire going to it. I searched high and low but do not see any extra wire that should be plugged into it. It appears that it has only one pin on it for a single wire. Everything works on the car. Anyone know what this sensor is.

Hello Barney. It is definitely a coolant sensor.The only other coolant sensor I see is mounted directly below the throttle body/maf and it has a pair of yellow and black wires going to it. My gauge works perfect and the fans come on with the a/c. I will try to post a picture in a bit.

Interesting. I have the same manifold on my '90, and that is where my temperature sensor is located, black and yellow wires connected to it. I couldn't see below my throttle body due to my turbo down pipe, but I do think there is a port there as well. I suspect it is a universal fit that may use two different sensors for the gauge and fan use, and have seen that before on GM cars. The earlier manifolds have multiple ports too. For those that don't know, the L27 fuel pressure regulator is located at the rear corner of the manifold, rather than up front as on the LN3.

Edited by 2seater (see edit history)