European car 1913-20???

Leif Holmberg

I agree that it doesn't look French. Couldn't find a Lorraine-Dietrich with a V radiator anyway. 

I am thinking Steyr possibly. It is the only other car I can think of with a V radiator. The filler neck looks right but the lack of a radiator badge is a mystery as is the drop centre front axle. I don't think the rad shell is nickel plated. I think it is polished brass.  At least Steyr was still using polished brass into the early twenties. 

The body looks too new for gas lights.

Not a Steyr, production started with Typ II in 1920 and they were also pioneers of central gear level and parking brake. I myself was more thinking about another Austrian, Puch. But the same problem arises, the Alpenwagen from 1913 seems to have get a V radiator only in 1919 to my knowledge.

When did Puch move the steering wheel to the left side? I found a picture of a Puch labelled as 1920 which has gas headlight, LHD and a V radiator which is brass. The body looks right for 1920 but the front axle is different than the subject vehicle.

• 2 weeks later...

The 1926 book  says it`s  a Dietdrich ,the 1926 book  is a book"who owns the car" in the W conty of Sweden.(but still don`t know if it`s a UK or French make.)Can`t find any pictures close to W1294 when googling ?

Leif in Sweden

Known as De Dietrich et Cie.
1896 Branched into the manufacture of automobiles. The first three-wheeler was designed by Amedee Bollee, the older brother of Leon Bollee. Shortly afterwards, the young Ettore Bugatti was commissioned to design a few models for the new make. The cars designed by Bugatti were driven by two, four and six-cylinder engines.
1905 the car's name was changed to Lorraine Dietrich. The cross of Lotharingen was mounted on the massive radiator.
1905 Make 12-15, 16-20, 24-30, 40-50 and 60 h.p. chain driven models. Made under the licence of Turcat-Mery.
1907 Established De Dietrich UK
1909 Nine different models offered. The Dietrich company invested a great deal in racing. The racing cars had enormous engines and were specially designed for the purpose.
1913-1917 For a list of the models and prices see the 1917 Red Book
1919 The factory produced V12 engines.
1923 The company never produced small cars. The model with the smallest engine was the A4 10/12 CV type dating from 1923.