Barret-Jackson

David White

14 hours ago, David White said:

We have always wanted to Scottsdale for the Barret Jackson car show and auction in January. Just wondering if anyone in the car club has ever gone, where did they stay and what they thought about it, or better to stay home and watch it on Velocity?   David

I was at a a sociall event last month and B-J was a topic of discussion at the table. One guy mentioned he went about 20 years ago and again in 2014 (maybe it was 2015). I remember him saying the experience he had back then was professional (he was outbid on a 1969 Cadillac Sedan deVille).  A very professional atmosphere.  When he went with his 22 year old son in 2014, he felt the auction turned into a carnival/amusement park. Of the cars being sold, it felt more like an assembly line with less personal attention given (I assume to the bidders).

Based on his comments, I think he'd go again but take his grandson(s).  He kept talking how as an amusement park, it brought a very cheerful atmosphere. But as a typical buyer looking to bid, he was just another number (he didn't buy anything).

I rarely watch it on TV as it seems it is a bunch of rich guys with big egos trying to outdo each other BUT last year I was in AZ for two weeks and went to the auction. Not to buy but just see all the cars.

It was terrific. I wasn't able to go until Saturday and it was well worth going. Most of the cars that had passed through the auction were still there and on the windshield was what the car sold for. I thought there was some good deals.

Besides the car there are lots of displays to see.

I will be in AZ again this January for two weeks and am looking forward to going to B-J and also some of the several other auctions going on that week.

I thought about being a little more detailed but decided to not be too long. The other thoughts I had, was even though I went on Saturday when the highest price are bid and the crowds are the biggest, I found the entry fee not too bad and the lines getting in were very fast. You park away from the auction and busing is very good and quick. Inside was easy to navigate and lots to see inside the buildings and outside the cars  were all in open air buildings and you could walk right up to them.

Jim - I have been reluctant to attend the auction as I remember hearing that the fee to get into the bidding area is $400.  Is that true?  I only live a couple of hours to the West and was thinking of going some time.  I am retired and think that spending that much cash if foolish.  I can watch on TV.