HURRICANE IRMA UPDATE 09/07/2017

89RedDarkGrey

• 2 weeks later...

Another reason not to trust the media, can't tell the hype from the reality.

Irma came up the west (not east) cost on September 10th entering the peninsula around Naples. Closest to O'town was about 80 miles and being on the east side of the storm got about 70 mph winds. I slept through the worst part (sometimes being hearing impaired is not all bad) and lost three shingles.

Never lost power but did lose AT&T Internet & Phones. In 8th day without service now and no promise for restoration. Using backup system that is not as good but usable (being a long term Floridian I have backups for everything including AC).

So just have piles of brush waiting to be picked up & wondering what Maria will do...

• Thanks 1

About as nutty as my theory that all of the cars/trucs/ACs are dumping so much heat into the atmosphere creating an artificial HIGH over the state that himmicanes usually run up one of the coasts instead of coming far inland.

• Haha 1

Just pick a geographical region having an area and determine the # of vehicles, then estimate the fuel consumption per vehicle, to arrive at an est. of all fuel burned. Then convert to Btu's or whatever's convenient and divide by the area of the selected region to arrive at a figure for the amount of heat per square unit of surface in the region. I bet its not that much compared to impinging solar radiation

• Like 1

What about the millions of hectares of black paving & roads? That has to add up some reflected BTUs and IR. Grass, dirt, and sand get cooler at night- but asphalt can stay warm all night. The blackness does help to melt snow & ice where needed, though.

Any other color- would soon turn black anyway- just from tire usage.

And don't forget all of the ACs pumping heat from the inside to the outside.

AT&T trucks were finally at my DSLAM today. After 9 days my phones and Internet are back (one reason my cell phone is a different provider).

• Like 1