63 Riviera original wheel cover rust repair

Turbinator

220 will leave scratches. Start by cleaning them well with an SOS pad.  Then go over the areas that you to to have some luster with 400 wet/dry paper then work your way to 800 then finish with some 1200.  After that, you'll want to go over everything with a good finishing glaze. You've got some real work ahead of you to get that welded in piece to blend in.

On 6/16/2017 at 0:51 PM, steelman said:

You mean these?

42576.jpg

Steelman, thank you for the picture of how it is suppose to be. I bought 4 cast aluminum with spinners  like yours. I've got my work cut out for me because the wheels have to be cleaned and polished. I'm glad I came back to your pic because I need A frame of reference regarding what section of the wheel gets buffed out and the other stays natural aluminum.

i sandblasted mine, but I've been told it should have been glass beaded. Nonetheless, they are getting cleaned and will look just fine.

rhank you

Red Riviera Bob

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎6‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 9:05 AM, 60FlatTop said:

Those wheel covers are quite common. Over the past 40 years I have seen most guys toss them and put styled steel wheels on ALMOST EVERY Riviera. Check out what the seller of the black on black GS wrote that he did 15 years ago.

"Oh, I see you have the obligatory chrome wheels on your Riviera. Wanna sell the spoke wheel covers?"

I have a bunch. PM me your address and I will send you a stripped disk to put your parts on.

Bernie

Do you have a nice set of 4 spoked wheel covers (63 Riv) that you would sell? If so, at what price?

Thanks.

On 6/14/2017 at 6:30 PM, rodneybeauchamp said:

Red Riviera Bob,

Great idea to try to repair what you already have. With some parts you may never find another one.

Friend of mine restored a 38 and 39 Pontiac, 27 Dodge and a 61 Tempest. He would always try to repair what he could while others would "sit and wait till the perfect part comes along". He got his cars done while others were still waiting among their bits.

And when he found a much better replacement at a swapmeet, usually at a bargain price, he would clean that up and it would go on the car. And then sell the one he had repaired, usually covering the cost of both.

" Do one thing every day" was his motto, and it certainly works.

just my two bobs worth.???

Rodney, sometimes a person could be off by replacing the worn item. In cases I can patch an item I will so so if I my analysis proves economical. Time, material, aggravation have cost factors I consider in my analysis. In the case of the wheel cover the fix was simple IF the liquid metal holds up. So far the cover I repaired for $12.00 is doing great. 

I am a child of those who lived through the aAmerican Great Depression. Wow, talk about being careful with resources would make you crazy. My father showed me how to  extend the life of a worn out tire by cutting another badly worn tire and inserting the trimmed badly worn tire inside the other tire. On tail pipes he would take pieces of tailpipe and join the pieces together with old clamps to make a replacement.

i could go one for two weeks with stories about reutilizing resources.

Thank youfor your input. It is always good to know how others solve common problems.

Red Riviera Bob