Lock question

This is a twofold question for those who might know. 1st off I assume the steering lock and door handle are the same key. Unfortunately I don't have a key, fortunately neither are locked. So for my first inquiry can a key be made for these and how?

Second the outside lock is on the passenger door. I might think that someone moved the handle except that all of the other doors have inside lock actuators except the front passengers' (the one with the key) does not. I have seen in many old movies and television shows that people enter and exit the vehicle on the passenger side. Was this custom, just Hollywood, or did the manufactures attempt to condition people to do this?

Thoughts and info appreciated, 

Ken

The key is different from the door to the steering lock. The key number should either be on the square part of the shaft or on the inside cylinder. The reason the passenger door is the only one locking from the outside is so you get out the passenger side so  as not to get the door hit from traffic in town. The reason so many people exit that side in the movies is that was the side the camera was on most of the time? Lanny

• Like 1

3 hours ago, starlightcoupe said:

"Steering lock" on a Studebaker? :unsure:

Yep it does indeed have a steering lock. That was a big selling point back in 29 to reduce insurance cost. From the original 1929 owner's manual-

"Lock Your Car

If your car is stolen you may have to miss an appointment, ride home in a train or trolly, or give up that motor trip. You will have to do without a car until the insurance company settles, the car is recovered or until you can get delivery of a new car.

You may not lose a cent if the car is covered by insurance, but there’s the nuisance of filling out insurance blanks, to say nothing of loss of time, temper, patience and possible damage by a joy rider.

Locking the car is part of parking. BE SURE TO LOCK YOUR CAR.

The greater the number of cars stolen the bigger the insurance rate you pay.

Stealing of unlocked cars is frequently but an incident to some more serious or terrible crime. Why help the criminals?"

• 2 weeks later...