Engine question

so many options: rebuilt engine, remanufactured engine, different engine ( as in swapping an old 3.0 L Mitsubishi 6G72 V6 for the 2.2 Turbo engine) ....

my 1990 TC runs but is in need of a valve job and has an oil leak that I was not able to find...has 107kmiles on it and the previous owner already swapped the transmission....

if a rebuilt engine is not much more than a valve job....I might consider that...

thoughts?

Apparently you currently have a 90 TC with a 3.0L engine which has already had the 41TE transaxle replaced. Is that correct?

You say that it needs a valve job and has an oil leak you are unable to locate, Is that correct?

No, I am not Trey Gowdy...

My recommendation is to have the valve job done on your cylinder heads, being sure to have the exhaust valve guides replaced as well.

With the cylinder heads off the engine block, you should more easily be able to locate the oil leak, unless it had been coming from one of the cylinder heads.

107K miles is nothing on a 3.0L, it will be good for another 107K miles unless you have allowed the coolant to deteriorate to plain old rust. By the way, now is a good time to replace all the core plugs in the block as well as having them replaced in the heads. A new water pump, timing belt and the flimsy cross over coolant pipes that pass under the intake manifold should be replaced as well.

You have only 2 seals in the block that could leak, absolutely replace the front seal right behind the crankshaft timing belt sprocket. The rear seal would require removal of the recently installed 41TE transaxle, a job that should have been performed while the transaxle swap was being done, something the previous owner undoubtedly neglected.

I move to adjourn...

I tend to agree here. The 3.0 is a great engine. I had one that went ~350,000 miles. Still ran, but I had the option of installing a ~20,000 mile engine, so I did! They *can* make decent power. They like boost. In stock form, they will take some, but you should open up the ring gaps if you want to push it. The A604/41TE tranny...well...that's a different story. There's nothing "bad" with the transmission itself. They are good. It's the programming that took Chrysler forever and a decade to get right! They can hold some power, but NOT in OD. There are a few people trying to figure out how to mess with it, but I wouldn't hold your breath.

In all, I'd fix the 3.0 as Hemi pointed out and enjoy the car!

On 5/26/2017 at 3:11 PM, shelbyone said:

well, thats absolutely true...

So why waste additional money? All it appears to need are the heads repaired and an upper gasket set. Maybe miscellaneous hoses.