correct size of Numbers on Data Plate?

Guest JWJr

On my late 1932 65 the blank pad behind the number is 7/16" tall and the numbers themselves are 3/8" tall. The font of the numbers is unusual to me.

The 1 looks like an upper case i and the 6 looks like a lower case b. I thought it was a mistake or they had broken a die until i saw a picture of a

similar one online. If needed i can take a picture of mine and post it but it may take a day or two.

Thanks, JWJ

17 minutes ago, JWJr said:

"The 1 looks like an upper case i and the 6 looks like a lower case b. I thought it was a mistake or they had broken a die until i saw a picture of a

similar one online. "  Yep! The upper case "I" for a 1 and the 6 for a lower case B was always standard practice for Studebaker throughout their production. Heaven knows why.

The detail in this example is difficult to see after 84 years. No I's or B's in this one. 

P8140063.jpg

The last reproduction number plate that I used on an antique Studebaker I had to have engraved so the upper case "I" and the lower case "b" would appear correct. I looked for years trying to find stamp sets that would have those characters, and finally gave up.  All the stamp sets I looked at had all upper case letters,  and the "I" didn't have a cap or foot on it.

I'd also note that if you have a nine in your number, that it is like the lower case "b" used for the six, but with the straight leg on the other side, of course.

There are some engraving methods that look more like stamping a than others.  You have to be real specific with the engraver on what you need.  I went to four shops before one agreed to my requirements.  I don't know how plentiful those Rockne plates are,  but I got my last Studebaker plate from the LaVines and I don't think they have my style anymore.

Tom

Thank you, i think i will compare the Numbers on the Plate you send, with the numbers on frame.

It is no problem for me to digitize them in correct size and shape and engrave them as long i have the look of the correct number as template.

The Data Plate is for sale on ebay, but for $185 each i do not like to make a fault....

Thank you

Joe

Edited by Rockne33DLXRoadster (see edit history)