Automatic Transmission Towing

Hello Group  I have a 1950 Nash with Hydramatic transmission. It has no neutral position, only park, drive and reverse detent positions. I would like to tow car using a two wheel tow dolly on the front wheels. Can I tow the car in this manner? My only option would be to put the selector in a drive position.  Would I have to remove the drive shaft to be safe. I heard there is an issue with the internal pump in the transmission.

Thanks Al R. 

3 hours each way. U-Haul wants $60/day. We are going to a car show in northern Michigan for 7 days. Trailer will sit for 6 days with not way of returning it in that location.   $420 or more to use trailer.  Must be a better way. I agree with you on it should be trailered

On ‎4‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 3:10 PM, ARUCKEY said:

Possible.  One would have to secure the steering wheel very tightly.

I remember in the day that tow trucks would tow cars and just put a strap around the steering wheel and pull it out the door opening and slam the door on the strap to keep the steering wheel from moving. Just want to be sure that the wheels are straight when you do this or it will dog track down the road.

• 1 month later...

Why wouldn't you consider driving it 3 hours to the show.  You will have a great day and a '50 Nash is a great road car for that trip.  Enjoy your car.  Now, I'm confused about your transmission.  Nash bought Hydromatic transmissions from GM.  They operated like any other Hydromatic from GM.  All these transmission quadrants read N Dr Lo R.  There is no Park on the quadrant.  To lock the transmission in Park, you shut the engine off in gear and shift to N after the engine is stopped and it will lock in park. Can you post a picture of your quadrant?  I'd like to see the Nash one with only Park, Drive and Reverse.

Edited by 61polara (see edit history)