1960 Desoto engine, 361 or 383 ??

Guest grouchyandugly

Guest grouchyandugly

just purchased yesterday a 1960 Desoto Fireflight 4 door sedan in better than decent condition.  car was from NY, where it had the last NY sticker dated 2003.  runs good.....stops?  ha......LF wheel locks up, but have ordered wheel cylinders and shoes for it......I want to know if I have a 361

engine or 383 engine....??.....just want to know what the engine is.....could not find the engine numbers supposedly on top of the engine

under the outlet water pipe (?? which is located towards the bottom of the engine....).....carburetor is a two barrel .. the sixty is now home ported in N.E. Fla.

I would appreciate any info to help me find the dumb dirtyword cotton-picking nose-sucking finger-licking size of engine.....

decoded the VIN, but nothing on there about engine.....no tag on fender (inside the engine compt) or firewall.....no photos at this time.

stay safe

thanks

G&U

DSCF2550.JPG

Edited by grouchyandugly
photo was not included (see edit history)

20 minutes ago, JACK M said:

I like Keisers photo.

I may point out that I have seen the machined pad on the "B" blocks on the other side as well. (same place only on the other side)

Yes....on the passenger side, the "dip" in the casting was filled in and machined flat on the 361, 383 and 400.

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

Guest grouchyandugly

thanks, haven't checked it out at this point in time.....toooooo cold for me.......

stay safe

thanks

G&U