Engine Startup

I'm getting ready to start my 1932 DL six engine for the first time.  It's in the frame, but the body and fenders are off, so I want to start in without hooking up the ignition - just make it like it's on a test stand, in this case, the car frame.  From what I've read, it's fairly simple, but since this is a positive ground system, I want to get it right.  Normally, with a negative ground set-up, you would hook the positive battery terminal to the starter, and the negative ground from the engine block to the negative battery terminal.  Then you run a wire from the distributor to the negative coil terminal and a second wire from the positive coil terminal to the positive battery terminal.

I'm no expert (which is why I'm asking here), but I'm assuming it's just the opposite with a positive ground system.  The engine ground wire goes to the positive battery terminal.  The starter is connected to the negative terminal on the battery.  The wire from the distributor goes to the positive coil terminal, and the second wire goes from the negative coil terminal to the negative battery post.  Am I correct here?

Spot on.

When you're checking your timing with a timing light, make sure the little arrow on the pick up is pointing towards the distributor (not the spark plug) on the #1 spark plug lead.

Edited by maok
additional info (see edit history)

You have it right, (the positive ground basically puts everything backwards from what we are used to these days) but probably doesn't really matter for just a warm up.

If you don't yet have a 6 volt battery and want to use a 12 volt battery or jumper cables put a ballast resister between what ever you use to turn the ignition on and the coil.

If you don't already know your local parts guy will know what a ballast resister is.

First start up is always fun and rewarding.

Good luck !!