UR-23 Stromberg

I would hesitate to use the UR-23 as a donor for parts as it's is very hard to find as it was only used on the 1934 Dictator. And it doesn't have the same jets as the UR-2.

I have restored two UR-2 carbs and they are not that hard to restore your self it you have a good one to start with. The parts that are usually bad are the springs for the accelerator pump and the venturi which is made out of pot metal, a zinc based metal, which deteriorates over time. I made a new venturi from aluminum. And of course the parts I have mentioned are never included in the repair kits that are available.

Can you open the UR-2 and see how it looks like inside?

Alexander from Sweden    

• Like 1

On 11. Februar 2017 at 8:45 AM, M29C3284 said:

I would hesitate to use the UR-23 as a donor for parts as it's is very hard to find as it was only used on the 1934 Dictator. And it doesn't have the same jets as the UR-2.

I have restored two UR-2 carbs and they are not that hard to restore your self it you have a good one to start with. The parts that are usually bad are the springs for the accelerator pump and the venturi which is made out of pot metal, a zinc based metal, which deteriorates over time. I made a new venturi from aluminum. And of course the parts I have mentioned are never included in the repair kits that are available.

Can you open the UR-2 and see how it looks like inside?

Alexander from Sweden    

I opened both carbs already.

the UR-2 is very bad inside with a home made accelerator pump.

Float and needle / Seat are bad two. The pump Metering jet is broken,

half piece stucks inside the bowl. The Carb looks like the preowner

tinkered many times on it.

the UR-23 is like new inside, has the original gaskets, most parts looks similar to me, even the accelerator pump. I will check size of Jets next. When i dont get out the jet of the bowl of the UR-2, i have to use the bowl of the UR-23. Also i will use some other parts.

Its a shame but the only way to me.

Joe

Here are pics of the problems I found in my UR-2.

A: the economizer vacuum piston is weared and will not seal the hole in the upper part of housing

(pict 1 und 4)

B: the pump metering jet is broken, half of the jet is stuck in the bowl

(pict 5)

C: piston /valve of accelerator pump is stuck (the correct cylinder i have s spare)

(pict 2)

D: needle and seat is weared

(pict 3)

E: the two small pipes (idle tube) are bend and flattened by using a crimp... (Jehovah! ;-)

(pict 6)

1.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

6.jpg

Edited by Rockne33DLXRoadster (see edit history)