1990 Convertible in Rock Port, MO

ptt

That is cheap for a 'vert. I'm almost tempted to check it out. Pics aren't very detailed, but the top looks tired and the interior has some rough spots (steering wheel torn up, carpet is badly faded as is typical, especially with blue). If the top is serviceable (not leaking) probably a good deal. If it needs replacement in short order, then it isn't nearly so attractive to my way of thinking. Irrespective of those items, it could be a good deal for someone.

Would also mention there is another Reatta on KC Craigslist mis-listed as a 1991. It is, in actuality, an early 88 silver over grey with suede bolster seats. Looks fairly decent and is listed at $6900. Probably high on the ask, though it has about 70,000 miles according to the ad. Just in case someone is interested in a suede seat car. Looks like it is in Independence, MO but made the Kansas City CL search. I find it interesting there are several presently listed in KC, where this are only two on STL listings, and one is out of Springfield IL.

I'm guessing location may be part of the reason for the Rockport convertible not selling yet. That's a fairly rural part of the state and not so well travelled being distant from the bigger cities in MO and KS. This would limit the number of tire kickers versus being in a major market.  In the one photo, it appears the back drivers side tire is sunk into the ground which makes it look like it has been parked on the grass a while. Would kind of concern me if it has sat in the yard for a long time. Then again, the other pictures have it in a different spot.

Agree about it being parked on grass, and the damage that does is what I was alluding to in my previous post. Looking at the pictures posted earlier by Rogold99, this car definitely needs a top straight away, and if it has been on grass or gravel storage all this time (4+ years) the undercarriage and brake lines will be a mess. The inop Teves issue doesn't spook me, been there and done that.

Regrettably, this sounds more like a parts car than a likely restoration candidate. I'm in no position to consider it anyway but if it looked like a car that didn't need a whole lot to restore to safe use, I'd stretch to make a deal on it. I have the body and headlamp parts on hand to fix the front end damage and probably most of the other stuff I'd need except for time and storage space to get it done. I have an intense dislike of blue interiors, so that makes it easier for me to pass on. I really wouldn't want to buy it to part out either, winter is close now and I won't have time to tear it down before it gets lousy outside. If it is still around in the spring (doubtful at this price level) I might consider it. 

I don't really know why I dislike blue interiors so much. Part of it is undoubtedly the fact that GM did so many of them in the 80's and early 90's. It's like they got a killer deal on blue leather and vinyl and used it by the boat load. Like how Earl Scheib used to buy discontinued paint colors cheap so they could do $100 slapped on paint jobs and still turn a profit. I think I've just seen so many GMs with blue interiors I got sick of them. My brother has a 93 Fleetwood (rear drive D body) in white over blue. Nice car but I don't like the interior as it the same dark blue.

I don't dislike the color blue, heck my kitchen is done in blue and white with several Pillsbury dough boy things scattered about (salt and pepper shakers, fridge magnets, cookie jar etc.) But I don't care for it in a cars interior. Then again, I clearly have no issue with white cars, as I own 4 Reattas and a DeVille in the same color white and my Ford F-150 is bright white.

Getting back on subject, the convertible concerns me as it has been for sale for 4 years that we know of now and it apparently wasn't great in 2012 when Rogold99 looked at it. I have to gather it hasn't had much use since then, and sitting too much just destroys a car especially if it is outside uncovered and not parked on a slab. Having seen the rust and deterioration (and mouse damage as well) on my last three parts cars, there is no way I'd have bothered to try restoring them. Just too far gone, when a decent one can still be had (relatively) cheap and the cost and aggravation of doing major body and frame work can be avoided.

You can figure a top (about $1800 installed) some Teves parts ($150-???), Tires, ($500 minimum installed just for cheap ones) and probably brake lines. That doesn't even address the body damage. If you have the parts - as I have - they cost essentially nothing but then have to be painted. Now the $1200-1500 price tag isn't looking like such a deal and you still probably have a laundry list of stuff that needs doing. Just a new radio and four speakers will run you a few hundred bucks minimum for anything that isn't spark-o-matic type junk.

You'll be into it for 6 large before you know it, and that gets you close to buying a fairly decent one to start with. If the paint job is tired, figure almost another $3000 to repaint (well) unless you can get a good guys discount. This is why these kinds of cars don't sell and end up getting parted or flat out scrapped. If you can't make the numbers work in your favor there is no reason to touch it, unless you are just a sucker for a hard luck case. 

There is an early 88 black and tan with suede bolsters for $2200 in Springfield IL, presently on CL. Popped up on a St. Louis search. The drivers seat is a bit beat and would need repairs. Paint is shot and has brake problems (Teves, no kidding). Has 133,xxx according to most recent update. Funny, it was listed for $1700 a couple of months back. I guess if it doesn't sell now you increase the price. With the paint and ABS issues, upholstery work and highish mileage, it won't sell at $2200 or even $1700 I suspect. Been on there for at least 4 months and already, probably closer to 6.