1936 ford 4 cylinder

Phillip Robinson

I have just bought a 1936 ford, 2 door coupe, 4 cylinder, 1172 cc motor. Problem_

Type of spark plug, gap for plug, gap on points ,and timing for the spark. I do not have a manual as yet, hope to get one from somewhere (probably need to ask where), and wonder if someone out there knows this type of FORD _it is a flat head- and can help with some detail. Thanks in advance. I tried the Ford forum, but no help as yet.

Guest Al Brass

Hi Phillip,

An 1172cc engine belongs to a English Ford 10 but they are later than 1936.  In 1936, there was a Ford 8 (Model Y) and it was 933cc.  You obviously need to establish what it actually is so you might need to wait until you see it.  Both are little flatheads but I don't think there was a coupe body style.  More likely a small two-door sedan.

Regards

Al    

From a 1955 Lodge (English) Spark Plug book:

Ford 8 hp from 1935   14mm plug  CN    (14mm    1/2" reach, cross ref Champion L10, AC F10, Autolite AE6, Bosch W175T1, KLG F50)

- gap .022 - .026"

From a 1951 AC Catalogue:

Ford  8 & 10 hp, 1935 - 1948   45-Com  (cross ref Champion J8, Autolite A7, AN7)  These are 3/8" reach plugs

From a 1956 Auto-Lite Catalogue:

AutoLite A7: 14mm 3/8" reach, cross refs Champion J8 & AC 45,  Resistor: AR8, AR80

Peter

Here is a page from AutoServ Service Manual (1957) published by Scientific Magazines Publishing Co. in  Australia.  It has the tuneup info you are looking for, although the CX model is not listed.  |(Australian models may have differed.)  There are 9 more pages of service info.  Send me a PM is you're interested in these.

Peter

Ford 8-10 tuneup.jpg

• 1 year later...