1972 El Camino

Guest wings515

Guest wings515

A friend has the 72 El Camino with a highly modified engine.  When going to shows the question comes up as to what class this vehicle should be put into.  Is it a modified car, truck or coupe?

Just for some information.

Regards,

wings515

There is no single answer to your question. Different organizations and different shows have different categories and classifcations. For AACA, from your description the best class is DPC. For any other club or organization or show it will depend on the particular rules of the organization putting on the show.

With out knowing the exact modifications to the engine it may or may not qualify for any class in the AACA.

Call Lynn at Headquarters Monday Thru Friday 8-4 EST

Must be an AACA member to show a vehicle at an AACA National Meet

Lynn Gawel

Unmodified, it would be a truck, 36K, in an AACA meet. I can understand the confusion. The Ford Ranchero and Chevy El Camino were originally advertised as car - trucks and described as a hybrid. The Aussies call such a vehicle, "Utes", as in coupe utility.

40 minutes ago, Phillip Cole said:

Unmodified, it would be a truck, 36K, in an AACA meet. I can understand the confusion. The Ford Ranchero and Chevy El Camino were originally advertised as car - trucks and described as a hybrid. The Aussies call such a vehicle, "Utes", as in coupe utility.

Phillip,

You may want to check that again.

That would be the correct class for an unmodified 1972 El Camino with particular high performance engines. With a different engine, an unmodified 1972 El Camino would belong in Class 22h.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, MCHinson said:

Phillip,

You may want to check that again.

That would be the correct class for an unmodified 1972 El Camino with particular high performance engines. With a different engine, an unmodified 1972 El Camino would belong in Class 22h.

As always, you are right! And with the information we have, it would be DPC. Although it might be 23g, if the capacity is under a ton. And on a car frame, it may be.

Guess we need more info.

BTW, Wings515, most state registrations will tell if it is a truck.

Thanks, Matt!

Edited by Phillip Cole (see edit history)

I think we both have a typo in our last posts. It should be 22g. I was looking at the wrong line when I quickly glanced at it before my last post, and I think you meant 22 instead of 23 in your last post.:)

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, MCHinson said:

I think we both have a typo in our last posts. It should be 22g. I was looking at the wrong line when I quickly glanced at it before my last post, and I think you meant 22 instead of 23 in your last post.:)

Yes, I really need to proofread when typing on my phone. 22g it is. ? Unless it is an SS, and then, "perhaps" 36k. ?

But again, back to Wings515 original question... Have your friend look at his registration... Actually, at local shows I've seen "Elkys" with trucks, Chevelles, muscle cars in general, etc. Let us know more info.

• Like 1