Dynaflow 320 in a Pre War Cenrury

Jack Worstell

I have only a smattering of info about this, but I will give you my 2 cents worth. First question, are you planning to use the Dynaflow as well, or just the engine with the 3 speed?

There is a difference in the crankshaft between a Dynaflow engine, and a syncromesh. It is to do with the mounting on the rear of crank. So, you would need to swap crank. Also, I 

believe that the front mounting is different between pre war and later models. If you were to use a Dynaflow in an earlier car you'd need the steering column, and linkage.

Sorry that I cannot be of more help.

Keith

Greetings

If you have a copy of Buick tips and tricks, for sale by the West MI chapter, I believe, ad in Bugle, usually, there is a good report on just that install. They took the flywheel to a machinist and had the center hole for the crankshaft shoulder diameter enlarged to fit the Dyna crank. The problem, potentially is the flywheel bolt holes now don't have much metal between the shoulder and the side of the bolt holding the flywheel on, hmmm, might be time to think about swapping in a stick crank. Same size bearing journals, babbitts or inserts on the str8's, except the small 263's

I done it on mine like the other direction, have adapters made to drive an automatic crank (a 263 from a '52 )  infront of my '38 synchromesh..

But your way ? The synchromesh crank is rare, im not would maschine it to match the flexplate and converter.

For that bil of the whole maschining i would search for a Automatic crank ,maybe change with another guy who is search  for a 3speed crank...

My opinion....?

Edited by jenz38 (see edit history)