Brittle Wire Connectors

coOverwatch

Hi all, Things are still progress with the 64 Build. Weather and Job are getting in the way on getting things buttoned up.

In the process of checking all the power window motors. All the connectors are brittle and are breaking apart. Anyone have a good source for replacements? I do have two complete wire harness that I can splice into but would rather not cut and solder wires together. There are other places where the connectors broke apart when I deconstructed the car.

I'm guessing you're talking about the green connector to the motor? I think we all have this problem.

There is a replacement that appears on ebay from time to time. It's got a white plug instead but otherwise it's the same. Here is a link but for some reason it has an utterly absurd price against it. That said, they are never cheap - usually around $20 from memory...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cadillac-Buick-Chevy-Pontiac-Olds-Power-Window-Lock-Wiring-Plug-Pigtail-Harness-/121549825390?hash=item1c4cef256e:g:J30AAOSwWKtUwCct&vxp=mtr

If only the plastic housing part is bad, you can remove the terminal from the old housing and just slip it into the new plastic housing.  Just make sure that you get them oriented into the housing correctly otherwise you'll get your up and down reversed.  Snap-on makes a special tool for releasing the terminals from the housing.

Ed

• 3 weeks later...

thanks for the info all. been a bit crazy with work. so crazy that I have decided to retire and just play with rebuilding cars! ;-)

New shop is getting ready to go up as well. decided on a 40 X 50 with a lift! no more swapping transmissions on the floor.

As long as you know which wire is which, and they don't touch, you don't really need a housing.  The housing is for wire orientation and insulation.  The wires will securem themselves to the terminal.  Just wrap some black tape around them to cover any exposed metal on the terminal.

I think this is the same link as above.  

http://www.ynzyesterdaysparts.com/electrical-t-c/connector-body-kits/gm-power-window-motor-terminal-female-.html

If you carefully remove the terminal from the old housing, it can be slipped into this new one.

Ed