1935 top fabric

LeBaron Bonney sent three samples for top material; while they are knowledgeable on common cars, they do not know which of their material is more appropriate for Studebaker.  The samples are: T-63 short grain, T-65 long grain, and T-5 colonial (no grain- looks more like upholstery vinyl).  Which is more appropriate for 1935 Dictator or is there another material?  Ken, Deltaville, Va

It's not a convertible top rather this is for a 4 door sedan.  Ken

Edited by ken1007 (see edit history)

Are you talking a convertible top, or a closed car insert?

Most original top inserts I've seen appear to be a mild grain, not a pronounced heavy grain (either short or long).  That said, even marque specific discussions can get interesting, with not everyone agreeing on what is original.  One of the problems is that we can be looking at a top that was replaced 50 or 60 years ago, and now it looks "original".....

You might want to contact Eric Haartz directly if you don't get a good answer, he's very helpful to early car guys, and has some materials that you don't normally find from the mainline suppliers.  There are some short cobra styles that appear fairly correct, and he has some Jonarts materials also.

I recently found another thread on this topic either on this forum or on the SDC forum.  The final comment was from Rex Miltenberger,  who recommended the short grain sedan decking material from Restoration Specialties in Windber, PA.

The reason I remember this so clearly is because I am preparing to replace the top material on my own '35 Commander 4-door sedan, and I searched for previous help.  What is on my car right now shows no grain pattern at all, but who knows if it might have been replaced at least once in the last 81 years.  When I do mine I will go with Rex's recommendation.  Tom Lewis

I also inquired to Jeff at Restoration Specialties; also inquired about the "1515 Dash-C Deck Sealing Cement" the original engineering drawings specified for sealing the edges. His response:

"I do have the short grain topping 

it is used on those early cars 
width of this product is 54 inches wide 
as far as to seal it you will use a modern caulking of your choice 
jeff 
814-467-9842"