Circa 1923 Lexington in Australia

Guest Graham Clayton

Guest Graham Clayton

When my father-in-law paid me a visit a day or so ago, he told me that he had been invited to have a look at some vintage cars in a factory/warehouse. While he was able to identify most of them, he was stumped by one. He said that is was a "Lexicon". When I showed him the Standard Catalog of American Cars entry on Lexington, he confirmed that it was in fact a Lexington he was looking at, circa 1923.

He e-mailed me photos that he took, and which I am enclosing below. The car looks very much like a Skylark roadster, but the rear bodywork has been extensively modified, with a cradle for an exposed fuel tank added, plus a home-built storage tray. I have also enclosed below a picture of a restored 1923 Skylark roadster for comparison.

The Lexington was manufactured in Lexington, KY & Connersville, IN between 1909 and 1927. Production peaked in 1920 with 6,128 cars built, and by 1923 only 1,330 cars were built. If this is a 1923 car, then there must have been a very small number imported into Australia, of which this may be the only survivor.

How many Lexingtons are known to exist in the United States? Is there a registry or website for the make?

IMG_0501.jpg

IMG_0503.jpg

IMG_0504.jpg

IMG_0505.jpg

IMG_0506.jpg

IMG_0507.jpg

IMG_0508.jpg

IMG_0510.jpg

IMG_0511.jpg

image.jpeg

There are a known 38 survivors to exist in the world, the Lexington you show would make it 39, if you have any inkling of selling it, PLEASE let me know.

Graham, I asked a similar question a couple of years ago about the number of Lexington's in Australia. If you look through this thread and read Ivan's response.

The car you've shown is a LHD, if it was sold here new, it would have been one of the very few LHD cars sold in Ausatralia in the 20's.

Guest Graham Clayton

Hi Greg,

I have done some brief research and it seems that Lexingtons were being sold from 1923 onwards by Masters Motors in Adelaide and the Simpson Motor Co in Brisbane. AV Turner had imported Lexingtons around the end of WW1, but I don't think he was the agent by 1923.

Graham,

If you would like information about the Lexington's , I can copy what I have and send it to you if it will help.