'39 Pontiac Advice

I've been looking to buy a late '30s Buick a recently have come across a few Pontiacs for sale that are interesting. Since it seems like you get more car for your money with a Pontiac, I'm open to buying one instead. Is there any advice you can give to someone not familiar with the specifics of prewar Pontiac ownership? There is a '39 on my radar. I get the sense that parts for old Pontiacs can be hard to come by, is this true? How does a 6 drive vs. an 8? Any specific issues to be on the lookout for with a '39? Do they have data plates like Buicks do? If so, where on the car is it and how do I decode the information?  

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

I own several Pontiacs including a 1941 coupe (6-cylinder) with the rest being mid-1950's era.  There is a data plate in the engine compartment (on the firewall) that will list the body style, trim, paint, etc.  I do not know how it compares to Buick plates but I would assume it would be similar.  To decode you can use a Pontiac parts book or manual from the era or there are a couple Pontiac books by John Gunnell which would be helpful.

Mechanical parts are not too hard to find to keep the vehicle operational however if you are looking at vehicles which need work and you are in need of trim pieces and the like those can be hard to come by. 

As far as the 6-cylinder vs 8-cylinder...  they make similar power with the 6-cylinder being more available.  The 8-cylinder engine didn't become a big seller until after WWII. 

There is nothing specific that I would look at compared to any other make/model of car other than if you are getting a project car make sure the trim pieces are there.

There are a few clubs dedicated to the older Pontiacs: the Oakland-Pontiac Worldwide Region of AACA http://www.oaklandpontiacworldwide.com and the Early Times Chapter of POCI (Pontiac Oakland Club International) http://www.earlytimeschapter.org

If you are in need of some specific information let me know as I have some reference books that would apply.

Take a look at www.pontiacparts.net to see your best parts source for flathead era Pontiacs.  Major mechanical parts should be generally available from them and others and like Buick the mechanicals had a long run.  Body and trim are tougher and changed every year or two, also like Buicks. 

On production (non-wagon) models Pontiac used Fisher Bodies with Fisher data plates, just like Buick, so you will be right at home.  In fact much glass, rubber, and door hardware will interchange from other GM "A" and "B" bodies, so that helps with parts availability.  There will be little interchange from Buick on mechanical items though, and trim parts unique to Pontiac can be tough, like any BOP car.  Like other 1939 GM cars the Pontiac was a very good design and popular then, good luck, Todd C          

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
On 4/27/2016 at 2:36 PM, poci1957 said:

So Buick64C, did anything happen with the 39 Pontiac or did you go another way?

Sorry for the late reply, I just saw your post. I didn't end up with the car. I was hoping I could negotiate a better price, but another buyer ended up paying what the seller was asking. It was probably a good buy, but was a little bit of a stretch for me, particularly since I don't know Pontiacs all that well. I do appreciate your insight.