Looking for VIN location on a 1923 Moreland

Guest okcslim

At a guess you may have to take the engine apart to find out the bore and stroke.  From there it will be possible to guess the series from a list which I am sure someone will have.

Of course it will not have a VIN as they have only been used on cars in the last few decades. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicle_identification_number

It  may have had an aluminium plate somewhere on the chassis with some info but that is likely to be gone also.

You might try to find some other trucks of the era to get clues about where they put chassis numbers.  I think others have posted on this site that many vehicles in California were registered with their engine number so maybe, being a California-built truck, chassis numbers were not used??

Most of the trucks of this era I have seen have a nice brass I.D. plate. It is often screwed to the firewall , or sometimes the frame. Unfortunately they are sometimes the target of "souvineer hunters", especially if the truck has sat derelict for a long time. Often there are also numbers stamped directly on the frame but the position will vary from make to make. The major mechanical parts may also have stamped numbers { Ft. and Rear axles, Trans. even steering box sometimes}, these are usually just production unit numbers and not the vehicle serial number. Once again individual manufactures followed their own practice, there was no overall industry wide standards for numbering.  Networking with other Moreland owners may provide some clues. If you can find an owners manual they often illustrate where the I.D. numbers are to be found on the vehicle.

Greg in Canada

Now I'm more confused than usual...

There's a Cont'l in the truck (4 or 6?) and you've found/picked up a Herc to replace it??...or you have two 23 Morelands??...or???

For body "tag" (3x4 or so plate attached somewhere) you sometimes have to look in odd places---obvious ones are doorframes, under doors above running boards, firewall in engine comp'tmt, etc, all visible places---now look up on insides of cab sides under dashboard level, on inside of firewall up under dash, under seat, inside of seat frame, inside glove comp't'mt if any, and such...but, as 1912S said, they tend to disappear...

For serial number a favorite place seems to be on sides of frame around front axle area (possibly because modifications--fishplateing etc---much more likely in rear frame/rear axles areas) but, as mentioned above, could be anywhere, or maybe not there at all...

Guest okcslim

Now I'm more confused than usual...

There's a Cont'l in the truck (4 or 6?) and you've found/picked up a Herc to replace it??...or you have two 23 Morelands??...or???

For body "tag" (3x4 or so plate attached somewhere) you sometimes have to look in odd places---obvious ones are doorframes, under doors above running boards, firewall in engine comp'tmt, etc, all visible places---now look up on insides of cab sides under dashboard level, on inside of firewall up under dash, under seat, inside of seat frame, inside glove comp't'mt if any, and such...but, as 1912S said, they tend to disappear...

For serial number a favorite place seems to be on sides of frame around front axle area (possibly because modifications--fishplateing etc---much more likely in rear frame/rear axles areas) but, as mentioned above, could be anywhere, or maybe not there at all...

Sorry for the confusion. I have 1- 1923 Moreland and I had originally been told it had a continental engine, Then I found the tag off engine in a box of parts off the truck. So now I'm trying to find parts and info on this Hercules engine.