63: Rear bracket on console? Any clue?

petelempert

Interior on my 63 is going back in: Looking at my console, there is a hole in the very back, at  the base of the chrome fluted section beneath the courtesy light. I assume that hole receives a screw that anchors it to the existing hole in the top of the transmission tunnel. So just to make sure, I looked at the manuals. The manual shows a small u shaped bracket that anchors the sides of the console to the tunnel BUT-in the manual there is no screw hole shown at the base of the console. I've never seen any bracket in the box of parts for my interior and my console shows no sign of ever having any bracket back there. Yesterday, I drove up to CTC AutoRanch (coolest junkyard in the southwest) to see if I could find a bracket. None of the cars up there had any type of bracket and they all had the one screw hole at the base of the console just like my car. Is this bracket for real or is it some item that appeared in the manual but not in the actual car? Anybody? Thx PRL

I just reassembled mine and the only little U-shaped bracket I remember is up front under the lighter on my 64. I think there is a bracket for the light lens but that is all I remember.

Might be a running change after loose consoles or something.

Pete,

I don't know if this will help. My console had the same situation. An apparent hole with no screw or bracket. The console has been out. No one working on the car mentioned a missing bracket or anything out of the ordinary. This screw hole came into play recently for me. My car had the replacement door jamb switches that had only 2 terminals, so when you opened the door or turned on any of the interior switches all of the interior lights came on came on. However, the rear console light switch never worked but the light came on when other switches were used. I replaced the door jamb switches with original NOS switches. The interior lights all worked as they did from the factory except the rear console light switch. I finally figured out that when the doors were closed that light switch/light/console was not grounded. I fished around with an ice pick trying to find the screw hole that I thought must be there. I never did find one. So I inserted an interior screw long enough through that hole that would get through the carpet and carpet pad to make contact with the transmission tunnel. The carpet and pad hold the screw in contact with the transmission tunnel to make the ground and the light switch works perfectly.

Bill

Bill-That is helpful. I learned a similar lesson when I rebuilt the console. I couldn't get the courtesy lights to come on until I figured out that the console, properly installed and secured to the tunnel is in fact the ground.  So, I'm forgetting about the bracket and going with the long screw that both secures the console but also serves to grow the whole rig. Thx PRL