87-89 buick reatta/riviera parts needed

Guest Davionkhali

Guest Davionkhali

I puchased a 1988 buick riv, and i need to buy a steering column because my actuator rod broke.actuator and egnition switch, Anyone trying to sell? If not i was thinking about getting a pust start button added

Only real difference I'm aware of on the Rivi is it had the cruise conrol buttons on the steering wheel rather than the left side stalk, and as a result a special slip ring with multiple contacts in the column. I believe a Reatta column could be substituted with the left hand stalk having the cruise functions and either making the wheel mounted controls non-functional or using a Reatta steering wheel instead. Of course, the available colors weren't all identical between models so a respray may be needed.

That said, a comparison of the column wiring connector block between the two models should be made to insure GM didn't make any stupid changes requiring modification to substitute one for the other.

KDirk

Guest Davionkhali

I think it will fit, like @Kdirk said ive did research and the owner i bought it from has a reatta so i went over to his house to see if everything was identical i rigged my car to drive i just put a rectangle whole and switched the acturator rod sides so it dosnt hook up to the ignition, to start the car, I push down on rod, 4 latches, only problem is i feel like i use to much pressure sometimes and have to try it like 3-4 times for the car to start, problem started at the gas station one day when i put the key into the ignition it just turned loosely like a grandmas door knob.

I'm certain you can get a Reatta column from any number of people on here who sell parts. A Rivi column of that era will be more difficult to source but not impossible. It seeems to me the turn signal switch may also be different in the Rivi column since that has to "mesh" with the special slip ring that completes the circuit to the wheel-mounted cruise buttons. And now that I think about it, the lever for the tilt steering adjustment was slightly different in appearance (Riviera was knurled, Reatta tilt adjust lever is smooth) but that is strictly aesthetic.

Have you considered or priced having the existing column repaired? Probably more costly than an outright replacement but might be worth looking at since a swap with a Reatta column will likely require a color change and either a different steering wheel or loss of the cruise control functions by retaining the original sterring wheel.

KDirk

• 2 weeks later...