63 Dynaflow starts in gear

petelempert

I've been restoring the console area in my 63. To test fit the console, I pulled the gear selector back to R. About an hour later, I went to start the car forgetting that it was still in gear. As I cranked it, it began to move backward which was a sort of thought provoking. It actually started and began to creep back. Luckily I was on the brakes before I hit anything. Is this normal? I just assumed there was some type of reverse lock-out or starter interrupt. Is this a Dynafow quirk? PRL

Pete.....your car has the optional "Suicide" transmission!  Just kidding!  Your car

has a combination back up light and neutral safety switch that turns on the back up lights in reverse and only

allows the starter to engage when the trans is in park or neutral. The switch is most likely out of adjustment...

Do your back up lights come on in reverse?

Or it may be possible that you reversed the neutral safety switch with the back up light switch when you put everything back together.  FYI. If you're ever in a position where you need a jump start on a '63 (because of the Dynaflow) you can push start the car.  There's information on how to do it in the chassis manual.

Ed

Wow. No backup lights. No safety switch either evidently. Very spooky sensation to feel that big car come to life and move all in a split second and going backwards. I'll need to look into it. Seems I'd read someplace about the "push start thing" and wondered if it was related. Meanwhile, I'm all about being in Park when keying the ignition. Thx PRL