Where To Have Headlight Reflectors Resilvered

My recommendation is do not resilver the reflectors. I send my reflectors to Uvira, Inc., P.O. Box 1137, 310 Pleasant Valley Rd., Merlin, OR 97532. 1.541-956-6880.<P>The main reason that sealed beams were invented was to prevent the deterioration of silvered reflectors due to oxidation of the silver. Uvira takes a different approach. First they thoroughly clean the reflectors. Then they apply a thin layer of aluminum and polish the reflector. They then apply a thin layer of class over the aluminum to seal it off from oxidation. This works very well. I have one set of reflectors that were done this way about 15-18 years ago and they are still highly reflective.<P>Uvira's cost is competitive with resilver: $25 for reflectors up to 4 inch, $65 up to 9 inch and $85 over 9 inch. They also provide good turnaround. On the last set I sent, just a few months ago, they quoted around 10-12 weeks, but I received them back in three weeks.<P>If you insist on resilver, check the nearest musical instrument repair shop. They resilver musical instruments and will sometime provide this service for headlights.

I am glad to hear Uvira is still doing headlight reflectors. I heard that they were not doing headlight reflectors anymore, glad to find that information was wrong!<P>I had mine done by them many years ago and they are still perfect. I second Father Ron's recommendation.

• 1 month later...

On a slightly related topic to reflectors:<P>I have just received some quartz-halogen bulbs from <a href="http://www.welcome.to/cvb">Classic and Vintage Bulbs</a> in Australia. They have a standard double contact bayonet base and are a direct plug in replacement for the #1000 bulbs I was using. No modifications required to the stock headlamps. Just plug them in.<P>They have the filaments correctly located (at least my lamps focused properly). Cost was AUS$68 for three bulb (AUS$20 ea.) and shipping (about $36 at current exchange rates). I felt that I ought to have a spare in addition to the two bulbs in the car, thus the order for three bulbs.<P>I got bulbs that draw 25 watts (the same as #1000 (32cp) bulbs), but they have also have a 35 watt version. I felt that the 25 watt bulbs would be kinder to my stock generator that can only put out 15 amps at 20 MPH when hot. But if you have a slightly newer car, you could probably run the 35 watt units okay.<P>With the reflectors updated by Uvira and these bulbs in the sockets, the old lamps are a lot better than stock. Not quite up to new car standards, but a lot better than before.