Pierre Arrow - ID needed

Guest Mulder

Guest Mulder

Dear friends,

I am new on the forum and I have a question with regard to a automobile that was taken by ship from the USA to Norway for transportation during a few years and then shipped back again. It arrived in Christiania (nowadays called Oslo, Norway) in August 1919 and returned in 1922. Mr Rosto drove through Europe as a sales manager for Lindsay-Fuller Inc. from Rochester.

I tried to identify it by looking at the photographs and drawings on different websites, but without luck. The story goes in Norway that this is a Packard (even a museum believed it), but always there are details different from the photo.

Unfortunately, my photo is not too sharp and clear either... But the hoot on the engine is much lower than on a Packard and there is a luggage rack at the rear. The brand of Pierce-Arrow was mentioned on the Packard forum, but the model was unknown to them.

I also found that my photo showed a front seat much higher than the one in the Packard automobiles.

So it is likely to be a Pierce Arrow? Model 38?:confused:

Cheers

Rob

Spikkestad

Norway

post-75244-143138521996_thumb.jpg

It is indeed a 1914 Pierce-Arrow. The convex curve of the headlight projection was used that year only in the Teens. It is a 38-hp (calculated hp), known as a 38C2, per the headlights being higher than top of the radiator. Larger cars available that year were the 66A2 and the 48B2.

The 38C2 had a six-cylinder 4 x 5.5 bore and stroke engine, rode on a 132-inch wheelbase, and weighed 4300 lbs.

Guest Mulder

Hi,

First of all, thank you all for the feedback. It is good to get the make confirmed, as it makes the book more complete. The story said it was a Packard, so nice to get that straight!

And the remark: "the SMALLEST car that Pierce made that year!!!!!<!-- google_ad_section_end --> " makes sence. There were nearly no roads in Norway suited for cars. The car got stuck several times on its way from Trondheim to Hemne. The road was after this trip closed for automobiles between 1925 and 1936! Those were the days!

Super thank you all!

Cheers

Rob:)