Early Directional Signal Information

hddennis

Can anyone shed anymore light on my latest purchase? It is a N.O.S. directional signal set made by the Safeturn Signal Company of Los Angeles. I'm still waiting for them to arrive and seeking additional information. They appear to be vacumn as well as electric.Any ideas as to time produced, cost when new, adds or anything about it.

Howard Dennis

post-33891-143138093388_thumb.jpg

post-33891-143138093391_thumb.jpg

post-33891-143138093393_thumb.jpg

Howard, congratulation to your purchase. They are late 20s aftermarket item. I bought similar nice set some 2 yrs ago for my 1928 Master Six Buick, unfortunately the car needs to be restored first. They mount above windscreen usually under sun visor. In action the tube with respective lamp shifts approx 8" (right / left) and the light goes on. Be careful on the disassembly on the lamps, they are nickel plated pot metal and in this age very vulnerable. Enjoy!

Edited by pepcak (see edit history)

When you get them you will have a better idea of age because of material and manufacturing detail. They may be 20 years later than that.

Incidentally, electrically operated flashing turning indicator lights had arrived certainly by beginning of the 1950's. Lancia Aurelia had a L-R toggle switch on the dashboard for the driver's right hand, and cancelled when the steering turned in the opposite direction, as has happened ever since. This still works well on my 1953 B22 Aurelia, though the plastic lever was broken, and I had to make one out of aluminium to replace it. In the same time period when everyone was uded to giving hand signals, English cars had funny little illuminated arms that hinged out and up from the central door pillar, which may have escaped notice in the London fogs which I understand still happened then. Ivan Saxton.

Guest L.C.22

Those were on ebay a few years ago as a 'Truck set'

It think there were Karosene turn signals too but you had to carry lottsa matches

I've one signal the has an arrow that flips r to l with the switch and waves when you touch the brakes