Model 10C Oil Pan

busaf4

Hi

I want to use multi weight detergent oil but before I do, I want to check the oil pan to see if there is any sludge that needs to be removed. I do not know if the previous owner used single weight non detergent, straight weight detergent or multi grade detergent oil. The oil pump is connected with several bolts. The entire pan is a massive piece with approximately 50 plus bolts. Can the smaller plate around the oil pump be removed to accomplish what I am trying to do?

Thanks

busaf4.

No, the oil pan must come off.

But, the good news is that while it's off you can not only do a good job of cleaning a critical area, you can do something even more important .... check condition of main and connecting rod bearings.

Being careful not to mix up any stacks of shims that may be in the bearing joints, one at a time, remove rod and main caps and look carefully at the babbit material. Is it dull silver and smooth(good), or sparkly and crystallizing (old and brittle)? Is it clean,or full of grit/carbon. Are there cracks in the babbit, and or, pieces broken out? If it's dull silver, clean and no cracks, it should be ok. Anything else and you run the risk of bearing problems sooner or later.

Paul Fitz.

When you replace the oil pan with the pump attached, be very careful to make sure that the drive for the oil pump fits into its slot --- in other words, the driven shaft of the oil pump which is like a slotted screwdriver should fit into its driver mate attached to the engine. If you don't have these lined up you can crush the oil pump or otherwise damage something.

Very good advice to look at the bearings. Old babbitt is like glass -- very hard and brittle and prone to catastrophic failure.

--Scott