CV Joint Boot

Guest PontiacDude210

Guest PontiacDude210

I had to do ball joints on one of my 90s several days ago. I thought I nicked the CV boot when removing it. It held for a few days then tore. Barfed grease all over my new wheel. I won't have my Reatta on the road for several weeks if I can't get something quick for now, no time to rip the axle out.

This fix says it can be installed without removing the axle. How does this work? It doesn't look like a split boot.

http://thereattastore.com/dorman-614-003-help-universal-fit-cv-boot-kit/

Also, I see several other universal boots online that are split, Some solvent weld some clamp. I'm worried about buying anything sight unseen online for size reasons. Has anyone else done a quick fix on their axles?

Thanks for the advice guys. I will eventually replace the axles, but right now I want to drive it and I can't with a cracked boot.

I read up on this one after seeing your post. The description of the boot in the Reatta Store was not clear. The boot can be installed without removing the axle but the axle has to be pulled out of the knuckle so you can slide it over the end of the axle. It is only intended to be used on the outboard end of the axle. Sorry for the confusion.

I have never used any of the universal fit boots or the split boots. I have heard of people using the split boots but they were leaking again in no time. The universal fit boots that are sold in the Reatta Store may be available at your local parts store if you need to look it over before purchasing.

Having done this repair, short of saving a few bucks, I can't see why to change the boot if you go as far as pulling the axle out of the knuckle.

It's only 1 more step to pull the axle out and replace the entire assembly.

The Axles are under $100 IIRC and available at the flaps rebuilt or new.

I agree with replacing the axle. However the replacement boot makes sense if you know the axle has been recently replaced. It's a good idea to protect the boot whenever you are working around it. They are pretty easy to nick or gouge if a tool or something slips.

I put cardboard over the boot to protect it when I was replacing the struts. The 2x4s are taking the strain off the CV joints and the coat hanger wire is taking the strain off the brake hose. Taking a few precautions can prevent a lot of headaches.

post-52331-143143069216_thumb.jpg

Guest PontiacDude210

At the point of removing the knuckle, I would just replace the axle. I just 're greased it and plugged the pencil size hole with rtv for the moment until I can get an axle.

Guest PontiacDude210

I've found the transmission appears to be leaking around the axle anyway. I plan to replace both axles. Can anyone recommend a good set, and does anyone know if they come with new seals?

I got just one seal from NAPA when I had a slight leak at the transmission seal on the passenger side of mine. Out of all the axles I have replaced, no trans seals ever came with them. I have gotten all of my axles from NAPA and did not have any issues with them. Most of the axles were for Saturn and other GM cars.