Water pump in 1928 buick

Guest Stephenmilner

Guest Stephenmilner

Hi Guys

my waterpump in my 28 buick has water coming out of the grease nipple on the pump housing

I use my grease gun to fill it and it lasts about 50 k's then will drip again.

does this mean the seal needs replacing on the shaft. Should I put a kit in it to replace the lot and if so does anyone have a diagram of the pump and what I will find when work starts. Bobs have a kit now in their catalogue. Thanks for all the other advice you have given me in my other posts and they all have worked.

cheers

Steve

Guest Stephenmilner

Thankyou Mark

Should there be water under the grease nipple or is there a seal between the shaft and water pump?

cheers

Steve

Steve,

There is only one seal and it is on the end closest to the distributor under the packing nut. the inside end of the bearing is not sealed from the water. There are some water proof greases that can be used in this application, but usually people just follow the manufacturers lubrication schedule, every 500 miles.

Dave

Guest Stephenmilner

Thankyou Dave

I thought as much, so am using a marine high temp grease in the water pump. Do you know what thread is on the grease nipple as I want to replace it and auto shops can't work it out.

Thanks everyone

Cheers

Steve