How to lower a 1929 Pontiac?

Paranoid

Hello People!

Trying to figure out how the racers would have lowered their 1929 Pontiacs back in the day....I want to lower my car but I want to do it using the same techniques available within 1929 to 1932...

Also...What spindles will fit the 29 Pontiac?

Thanks,

Russell.

I don't think they lowered the cars because it did not help go faster. All the gains were in lower weight and aerodynamics. With 3 inch wide tires as hard as rocks and gravel/dirt roads corners were just something to navigate. The only exceptions I can think of is the American Underslung cars and the 1932 Graham Blue Streak with outboard springs both lowered the center of gravity 8-12 inches. Interesting the 1932 Graham tests complained the "car would slide into the ditch before the car would lean making it unsafe". With paved roads and better tires all that changed but I would guess you are talking after WW2. I would suggest looking at the Indy cars of the 30's lots of pictures on line if you want historically accurate.

You can lower the front end by mounting the axle below the springs (you gain about two inches). This could screw up the steering geometry but you could adjust that. At the rear you can make blocks to go between the differential and the springs. You might get two or three inches before bottoming out on big bumps. If you have wire wheels you could use later (smaller) wheels.

I appreciate the info....

The Underslung is little extreme...but worth mentioning..Have seen it done....What I'm really after is dropping the rear 4" without having to use the blocks..was hoping for a leaf spring with less arch off of a different model or make....the front is easy enough.

Thanks for the replies.

Russell.

You can lower the rear an inch or 2 by reversing the spring eyes. This requires taking out the main leaf and pounding on it until it bends the other way then putting it back upside down.

For a light weight car you can remove a few spring leaves and you can have your springs rearched with a flatter curve, or new springs made.

Any spring shop can handle this work. It is not very expensive when you look at the work involved. About $100 per spring, installed.

You can lower the rear an inch or 2 by reversing the spring eyes. This requires taking out the main leaf and pounding on it until it bends the other way then putting it back upside down.

For a light weight car you can remove a few spring leaves and you can have your springs rearched with a flatter curve, or new springs made.

Any spring shop can handle this work. It is not very expensive when you look at the work involved. About $100 per spring, installed.

And I did just that!

I found a place near me(St. Louis Spring Co.) that will a reverse eye and de-arch for around $100.00 per side...Hella deal compared to the time and hassle in trying to find a suitable replacement from a different year or make.

Thanks,

Russell.