new riviera engine

Guest pelitoloco

Guest pelitoloco

my 1965 buick riviera engine got over heated and needs mayor repair does any one knows what new engine can replace my old one so i dont need to fix the old and put a new one

What ever it costs to rebuild it will be less expensive and less work than trying to put a different engine in your car. Engine swaps into 1st generation Rivieras are made difficult because of the frame cross member, the center link, and the fact that in order to use a different engine, you also have to use a different transmission; the bell housing pattern on the '65 is unique in all the world. There's a '63 in the same shop where my '64 is. He has been trying to fit an LS3 into the frame for over two years now. The last I heard, he was having to have a complete custom frame made from the firewall forward - estimates around $6K to have it custom built. That's if he measures everything correctly.

• 2 weeks later...

post-44896-143142990459_thumb.jpg[AT

I have completely 100% rebuilt 1965 LX Dual Quad motor available. Motor rebuilt by Reichert Engines (Bill Reichert is World Champion Funny car aproxm.5 of last 7 years )all parts from Carmen Fasco.He also rebuilt distributer and both carburetor s.. Would be a HECK OF AN UPGRADE.

TACH=CONFIG]297023[/ATTACH]

post-44896-143142990481_thumb.jpg

post-44896-143142990506_thumb.jpg

When I was a kid I remember the local stock car drivers preferring to rebuild race engines from blocks that had been overheated. They called them seasoned blocks and figured they were stress relieved after the original machining and assembly.

My Great Uncle Sam (really) was a machinist and engineer from the teen's through the 1930's always recommended what some would call severe cycling as a break in procedure for a new engine. That entailed taking it to its limits a few times, as well. Although metallurgy has changed over the years the early '60's block would be fine to rebuild. Starting with the Chevy Vega is where blocks get scary.

Bernie