Ignition / Light switch panel - Key missing ?

Guest AlCapone

Guest AlCapone

I have a rare car ( 1923 Cardway ) that has a panel in the dash to control lights and start the car. My problem is that the key is lost and not to be found. Can a locksmith help me or do I have to have the unit rebuilt ? If I need the unit rebuilt is there a recommendation(s) ?

Thanks, Wayne

Edited by AlCapone (see edit history)

Wayne,

I only gave them the year and make of the car and the key code stamped on the face of the lock. They responded with the key blank that it used, the quantity of blanks that they had and that they had the code books to cut the key. I had two keys cut and had them in a week. There website has a lot of key information. They keys work perfectly. I checked with all the old time local locksmiths and none had the correct blank. Give these guys a try and let us know how it works out.

Guest AlCapone

Dave. I contacted Mr. Ferguson and sent him an explicit photograph. He is optimistic he can help and will advise asap. Thanks for the suggestion. Wayne

• 1 month later...
Guest AlCapone
Contact these guys http://www.key-men.com/ They just made two keys for my 1921 Maxwell. Great job and good turnaround time.

1923 Cardway

I contacted the Key-men as you suggested and I sent them a photograph of the outside of the ignition switch. The owner guessed what key I needed immediately. I sent him payment of $51 dollars and he sent me back two 2 cut keys. I tried them this morning and they work. I am very happy they work and very happy with the service. Thank you 61polara for the lead!

Wayne

p.s. Should I spray WD40 or something else into the lock cylinder ?

Guest Bob Call

Wayne

Never use an oil based lube on a lock and keys as it attracts and holds dust and grit. Use only graphite powder. Graphite is available in a small spray (puffer) tube at most parts stores, hardware stores or from a lock shop.

Edited by Bob Call (see edit history)

Guest AlCapone
Wayne

Never use an oil based lube on a lock and keys as it attracts and holds dust and grit. Use only graphite powder. Graphite is available in a small spray (puffer) tube at most parts stores, hardware stores or from a lock shop.

Thanks Bob I obviously needed your help !

wayne

Guest AlCapone
Wayne,

Glad it worked for you as well as it did for me!

It is a part time profession for the owner but he is to be commended. The only two local lock smiths told me they could not help me. Thank goodness you responded ! Many thanks once again.

Wayne