Possible solution to worn "engine turning" trim pieces 55 roadmaster

Guest Jammin

[h=2]Re: sourcing material 1955 Buick[/h]

Since my last post I have done some experimenting, and may have come up with a solution for small areas where the engine turning is worn away.

1. On the piece lay up a grid centering the swirl circles in pencil. 2. Set up your drill press to index horizontally lining up with line#1 on the pencil grid. 3. Take a standard #2 pencil and center it in your drill press chuck, eraser side facing material face. 4.put a very small amount of tooth paste on the aluminum. 5. Put the drill press on a medium/slow speed and press the pencil eraser down onto the toothpaste/aluminum/grid spot on the piece. 6.it is slow and takes a while to develop the right amount of pressure/technique, but to remediate a small area it works fairly well.

Needless to say. Practice and test this method on the back of the piece to perfect your technique and amount of paste and pressure to get the right look.

Heres another thumbs up on Mikes advice for Craytex and Bobs inspiration from his work. There are a couple ways to effectively accomplish this task.

Persistence, persistence, persistence.

Good luck!

http://forums.aaca.org/f163/door-panel-engine-turning-project-327197.html

attachment.php?attachmentid=141822&d=1335624069

attachment.php?attachmentid=141823&d=1335624069

attachment.php?attachmentid=141826&d=1335624069

attachment.php?attachmentid=141827&d=1335624069

Edited by KAD36 (see edit history)

I love self sufficiency. Nice job. If a guy had a CNC vertical mill he could beat out a complete new set from scratch in maybe an hour while he sat in a chair and scratched his nuts. Or if he needed a set for a Century or wanted to spiff up his Special he could just buy a set from Mike..................Bob

Guest tommyduncan
I love self sufficiency. Nice job. If a guy had a CNC vertical mill he could beat out a complete new set from scratch in maybe an hour while he sat in a chair and scratched his nuts. Or if he needed a set for a Century or wanted to spiff up his Special he could just buy a set from Mike..................Bob

A guy at my old job was working on just such a cnc program. I dunno if he ever did it. The curved pieces could be interesting...

I finally picked up my Super from Phoenix and got it home. The first thing I did was drill out the trunk lock to see if all the missing door pieces were inside...

...THEY WERE! I was having a hard time finding them for sale and couldn't find any without the power window switch hole.