Help Needed in Identifying Classic Cars

Guest Pasadena Resident

Guest Pasadena Resident

I would be grateful if you would identify the two beautiful old cars in photos taken between 1914-1930 in front of a still-grand Pasadena, California mansion, and relate any other interesting information about these cars. I don't own the mansion, but my home is next door, on about half of the mansion's acreage, which was sold off after WWII.

post-105214-143142890543_thumb.jpg

post-105214-143142890817_thumb.jpg

The other one is a Mercer, later teens to early 20's. It looks like one of the ones built with the extended cowl. I have heard they were built for a few of the movie industry people . There is mention of them in some of the articles about Herb Royston's Mercer.

Greg in Canada

Guest Pasadena Resident

Thanks for the quick IDs. I am not a car buff. I just proved that again by not recognizing the Packard even though I once owned a Packard limousine. (Owning that Packard is why I am not a car buff.)

I found an interesting link relating to extended cowl Mercers, http://theoldmotor.com/?p=16263, showing a photo of one, relating that the coach builder Murphy had extended the cowl, and also stating that Murphy was located in Pasadena, California. Despite not being a car buff, I know a little about Murphy, perhaps best known for its Duesenbergs. Murphy's facility was less than a mile from where the photo of the Mercer was taken. That location now houses a car dealership selling Rolls Royce, Porsche, Audi, Maserati, and Jaguars. I am not sure if any of the original Murphy buildings remain, but most of the buildings at that location seem to have been car showrooms from the 1920s-1930s.