fuel pump cross reference

Guest wcjames01

Guest wcjames01

Does any one know if a 1950 Style line Deluxe I6 dual diaphragm fuel pump fit and work on a 51 chieftain deluxe Straight 8? All help appreciated

Guest wcjames01

I have a bid on the ac#539 but the person will not respond to my messages asking if its NOS item and if the diaphragms are in like new condition. Any ways, I will keep you posted and again thank you all for your help. I'm sure I will be asking many many more questions in the near future.

Guest wcjames01

I'm sorry I'm a little new to this. What would be different other than the diaphragms? Aren't the new ones made of a paper component as well. I'm just trying to get a better understanding. I apologize

Primarily the diaphragms, possibly also the one-way check valves. Diaphragms are made of a fabric-reinforced polymer material, usually a synthetic rubber compatible with ethanol. Though not a part of the pump, you should also change the flexible fuel inlet line between the frame and the pump.

Any NEW rebuild kit will have "the right stuff".

Don't even look at NOS stuff or you'll be back to square one.......and probably 20 miles away from home when it fails.

As mentioned above change other rubber components in the gas line.

The carburetor will probably be next.

Guest wcjames01

Ok, well I won the bid on the #539 pump... so once I receive and install this I can eliminate failure by running only non ethanol gasoline. This will allow time to purchase and rebuild the one in failure. As long as I can get non-ethanol gas, I should be alright for a while correct? All of the gas lines have been replaced already.

As long as I can get non-ethanol gas, I should be alright for a while correct?

Not necessarily. If it's been rebuilt since the advent of today's gasoline it may be OK with any gasoline. If it has older internals compatible with non-ethanol gas it may not last long with that either if the diaphragms are old and age-deteriorated. Bit the bullet, take one pump or the other and have it rebuilt or do it yourself and be done with it.