'61 Imperial BRAKES PROBLEM

Guest jimstulga

Guest jimstulga

Had the brake fluid changed in the Spring. Car was fine all summer except one time just after the work was done the power brakes were weak; hard to stop the car. Now that we're back into cold weather here in Chicago (if that has anything to do with it), when I first take the car out of heated garage, brakes are ok. I drive for a while and the first time I hit the brakes, it's hard to stop the car. This continues a couple times more, then brakes respond fine for hours after in stop and go traffic. What could the problem be?

Second unrelated question.... Can I still drive the car with the horn relay out? I would tape any exposed connections, of course. Thanks,

Jim

Might be an issue with the brake lining composition. From some experiences of Buick club members, the brand and composition (i.e., hardness, metallic content) CAN have an affect upon braking abilities. As you reference "fine during warmer months, hard to stop in cooler weather, then fine later on), this sounds like the old full-metallic brake linings on the early '60s Impala SS cars, which came with a high-metallic brake lining set (for road racing capabilities, but NOT good for staging the car for drag racing). One '55 Buick owner mentioned "the brand issue" when he changed brake linings on his '55 Buick and discovered the car did not stop as quickly as it did BEFORE the work. Changing to another brand of brake shoes made the situation better.

The other thing to check would be intake manifold vacuum levels when the car is first started. Naturally, after the car was run for a while, the vacuum would probably increase and allow more available vacuum assist. Might also need a little tweaking of the automatic choke mechanism and fast idle speed, just to be sure they are working "as designed" and base idle speed is reliably reached as quickly as possible for your environment.

Just some thoughts,

NTX5467

Edited by NTX5467 (see edit history)

Guest jimstulga

Jim here... re: horn relay; the horn isn't working and the parts supplier in another state said he would test it before sending out a replacement. He thinks it's more likely a ground strap in the steering column and not a pleasant repair job. Anyway, I may have to move the car out of my garage while the relay is gone which is why I asked. Just being cautious.

Also, thanks for the brakes info.