1924 Dodge Starter Generator help

Guest 49 plymouth

Guest 49 plymouth

Hi. I recently got a 24 Dodge to restore. I wanted to try starting the engine. The problem is, I don't have a hand-start handle, and I am having problems with the starter. The starter has two large lugs. The upper one has a wire going to foot switch, the lower has nothing connected. I removed the starter and found that it spins well when I connect it to the battery with jumper cables. With the cables connected to both lugs (one positive and one negative), it spins best. The problem is, however I try wiring the starter with it installed in the car, it tries but can not spin the engine - even with plugs out. The engine is free.

I would like to know how it should be wired correctly. From pictures I found, it looks as if the upper lug should be grounded to the engine but it's hard to see. Any input would be helpful.

Yes the upper lug should have a brass strap to the ground. The car is Positive ground. With the plugs out or in it should spin the engine so maybe engine is stuck as you don't have a Crank to see.. With gear shift in High (to right and forward) Backward transition if you move the car the engine should turn over.

Guest 49 plymouth

Well, I did wire it how I was shown. I cleaned everything, including the starter switch contacts and now the engine spins but, only once or twice with plugs in place. I am going to replace the brushes in the motor because they have seen better days. would you know what it the correct amp battery? Thanks

Guest 49 plymouth

Yes, I noticed that when I cleaned my old ones they were not just carbon ones. I found a forum where sombody tried off-the-shelf ones, and they overheated. They supplied a link where to get the correct ones. Thanks for the warning.

Unless you have already removed the starter/gen the hardest part is dealing with the silent chain....... :mad:

I used two pieces of wire to keep the chain ends from getting away from me once the *&$%^&(* connecting link was removed.

Life will get a lot more interesting if you have to go fishing for chain....... :rolleyes:

If the chain is already running silently pay attention to the slack in the chain so you put it back about the same way.

That particular chain doesn't like to be very tight or it WILL whine.........guess how I know....... :o

Guest 49 plymouth
Unless you have already removed the starter/gen the hardest part is dealing with the silent chain....... :mad:

I used two pieces of wire to keep the chain ends from getting away from me once the *&$%^&(* connecting link was removed.

Life will get a lot more interesting if you have to go fishing for chain....... :rolleyes:

If the chain is already running silently pay attention to the slack in the chain so you put it back about the same way.

That particular chain doesn't like to be very tight or it WILL whine.........guess how I know....... :o

Yes I did remove starter. It took some figuring out. When I removed the split link the chain would not part, but if I set the starter to its slack position, I was just able to slide the chain of the end, whille pullling out the starter. I guess I will need to replace the chain at some point.

I removed it to test it.

When I ran it on the ground, it seems to have loads of power. I loaded it will a block of wood on the sprocket. But in the car, it still wount flick her over more than once or twice, with plugs in.

Despite replacing and cleaning all contacts, leads ect.

The brushes are Ok, but the wires, that connect them are shot, I soldered them to try it, but think I need new ones.

I am having problems finding them, I looked at you old post and will try Jason.

Thanks Shaun