1991 Buick Reatta Windshield

Mr. Anderson

Hey all, quick question. On my 1991 Reatta, the windshield was replaced recently (within the last year) by the dealer who had the car before I bought it, and it appears that he did not take the original windshield gasket with it. My question is: is this windshield usable anymore, and are there replacement gaskets or universal gaskets that can be fitted to the windshield so that it doesn't leak? Thanks in advance!

post-91942-143142744572_thumb.jpg

post-91942-143142744591_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mr. Anderson
Added Pictures (see edit history)

Unfortunately, the rubber edging is molded onto the glass at manufacture. Once cut away it cannot be reattached or replaced (a service replacement gasket has never been made). You might find a good glass outft who can install this glass with some sort of t-profile rubber edging but it will not look original and may be difficult to make it lay right in the curved portion of the edges.

KDirk

The plastic trim around the edge of the windshield is cosmetic .... the sealing is done with the adhesive that holds the glass in place. If you have a good windshield and ugly plastic edge, some talented person might find a stock trim that could be bonded to the glass and improve the looks.

Are you just missing the lower molding that is on the cowl where the wiper arms attach?

Yes, I am missing that, and the gasket that runs along the vent windows. I think that a universal gasket was molded to the top where the windshield meets the roof of the car. My pictures in post # 1 show pretty much what I am missing.

The lower reveal molding shouldn't be hard to find. There must be a weatherstrip missing that attaches to the A pillar along with the trim that is molded to the glass. Barney is correct the trim on the glass is cosmetic only the windshield urethane is what seals it from wind and water leaks. You possibly could cut the encapsulation off of a broken windshield and bond it back on but would be pretty tough to get it to look smooth

Guest PontiacDude210

I've wondered if there is a way to bond new trim to good glass with ugly or missing trim also. Haven't got the time to experiment yet but was planning on it.