Installing a new headliner in a 1950 Chevy Styleline Sedan

STuTZ693

I have purchased a new headliner for my 1950 Chevy Styleline Special and plan to install it myself. I have never installed a headliner.

When I removed the existing original headliner I found that around the front and rear windows the headliner has been glued and stapled.

I am wondering if it necessary to glue and staple or just staple and if it is better to use glue, what is the glue to use?

Thanks in advance.

Don't use glue. I doubt the glue was used by the factory unless it was for something else besides the headliner.

You will need to tack the headliner in place with a few staples, then pull some of the staples and move the material slightly to get rid of wrinkles. When you have it as smooth as you can get it, add more staples to make it permanent.

I am afraid if you use glue it will end up all over the headliner, it is that kind of a job. You should wash your hands before you start and be sure your tools and work area are clean or the headliner will end up looking rather shop worn by the time you are done. It takes a lot of handling and adjusting especially if you have not done one before.

When you are all done you can shrink any remaining wrinkles out with a steamer. Or they will shrink up and disappear after a while by themselves.