Sparkplug headache...

Guest Im4darush

Guest Im4darush

As always, what should be the easiest, turns out to be the hardest. Went to pull my spark plugs today and the socket size for the plug is 13/16. Is this right? Needless to say 13/16 just barely slides into the hole. I was able to get a few out, but am unable to even seat the socket onto the plug on the others. It just will not go in. Im using a craftsman standard deep socket. Do I need to find a thin wall socket to make this happen?

The plug I pulled out of there was a champion RJ12YC

Guest Im4darush
You probably need to get a special socket for spark plugs. It will also have a rubber insert in it so the sparkplug won't fall out.

Ed

The right tool was all I needed. I have all kinds of spark plug sockets but none were a thin wall type. Went to Sears, got a thin wall spark plug socket and it fit. Tight, but it fit.

The right tool for the job can make a big difference !!

That snug fitting rubber insert in the upper portion of the spark plug socket in addition to gripping the spark plug, also protects the porcelain portion of the spark plug to reduce or prevent damage from cracking or breaking the porcelain when your removing, or installing old, or new plugs.

Edited by 68RIVGS (see edit history)