Trouble with manual top

Den41Buick

I am looking for help getting the top of my 4 door convertible sedan to fold all the way down. It folds most of the way, but not enough to get the boot on. I have looked at the irons and even loosened them as well. I am looking for someone who may be in the Eastern CT, RI area that could help. Thanks

• 3 months later...

My MX5 top folds easily when it is warm - it will flop down and lock under gravity - but not when cold and the fabric is stiffer. I have to push it down and jiggle it about get it down straight at such times. Yours will be much longer than the wee Mazda so there is a lot more fabric to fold and compress as you open it.

The best top protectant is made by Ragg Topp. I read somewhere on the 'net (that great peddler of untruths) that all top fabric is made by one company and they recommend ONLY Ragg Topp cleaner and protectant. Maybe... But either way, get some Ragg Topp onto it to keep it supple. They do a product for vinyl and another for fabric tops.

Do NOT put anything containing silicon on it. Silicon will dry it out, causing stiffness and result in cracking.

Be sure the material is not between the top linkage as it folds. Pull the material out and roll it up. Tuck the rolled up material into the top well. This is how the convertible top manual for my '50 Pontiac instructed folding the top. It works well for any convertible. Good luck.

Thanks Spineyhill and Rick60. Yes the material is rather stiff as well as plentiful. I have fought with it quite a bit, and can only get it so close. I thought maybe the irons are the issue, but maybe it is the material.