35 Buick fan angle

Guest greg walsh

Guest greg walsh

A funny thing happened the other day. I've had my 35 Buick since about 1976 and since I restored it ,it's always been running with the radiator fan blade installed backwards! Never really had a bad problem with overheating but after working on my son's Mustang my neighbor informed that I had that fan on the wrong way so I looked at my Buick and it was the same angle since both motors turn clockwise when viewed from the front. Sure enough now my fan pulls air through the radiator instead of pushing it from behind. Boy do I feel dumb. Now I just need to find a smaller fan belt,mine's adjusted as far as it will go and is still kinda loose. Can someone send me a picture of where the generator adjustment bracket is supposed to mount? I might have it in the wrong hole but I don't think so. Thanks very much! Greg.

I read you post twice and believe you have the correct rotation fan......... it is supposed to pull air thru the radiator. If it was trying to push it, there would be a problem when moving down the road. Air would be coming into the grill and going thru the radiator and if the fan was pushing, they would be fighting one-another.

I cannot help on the generator adjustment bkt on a '35

Tom is correct.

On a related point, I have twice helped a person who's car would not cool well at road speeds. In both cases they had removed the mechanical belt driven fan and installed an electric 'puller' fan behind the radiator. (they did not want to keep the mechanical fan and add a 'pusher' fan in front of the radiator for esthetic reasons).

The new electric 'puller' cooled great at low speeds and at idle. But at road speeds a new problem started, the car would over heat. Turns out in both cases the electric fan was wired backwards and was 'pushing' air from behind. As Barney mentioned above, at road speed, the ram air of the moving vehicle matches the 'pushed' air from the incorrectly wired fan resulting in no air flow. At idle, the incorrectly wired fan pushed lots of air to cool. Took me a while to find it but we found it.

I've also seen a soft lower radiator hose collapse at road speed due to coolant pump suction and no spring in side the hose and a radiator with reduced flow (partially plugged) also helping with the high suction negative pressures.