If Buick only built....

Dandy Dave

Crawler Tractors. This would be one. It is that time of the year again to get out the honey wagon and spread the winter heap of piled manure around.

The tractor is actually an International T-20 TracTractor made in the 1930's. I found this photo years ago at a flea market and just had to share it. It really depicts country life in the Hudson Valley in the 1930's. Dandy Dave!

post-44142-1431424647_thumb.jpg

Speaking of manure in the Hudson Valley, the Albany legislature is off this week.

"It is that time of the year again to get out the honey wagon and spread the winter heap of piled manure around."

They probably have newer equipment now.

I have always wanted to write a well illustrated book about cars adapted to different uses; Doodlebugs, tractors, tow trucks, and the like.

Bernie

Bernie

I have a Great picture of my friend Pete Wing and his son Charlie at the Kent Connecticut a bunch of years ago. He is on a Model T Ford with a tractor conversion, and his son Charlie is behind him on a horse drawn mower. I'll have to dig it out and post it later. Dandy Dave!

Guest my3buicks

Grew up with an Oliver crawler. I still have a letter from the government permitting my great uncle to purchase it for agricultural use during the war. It was my favorite tractor to run.

Here's the photos of the Model T Tractor conversion. Actually Charlie is Driving and Pete is on the mower. Photos were taken at the C.A.M.A. Fall Show in Kent, Connecticut. September 24, 1989. I'm sure there are also Buick examples around. If any of you are in the area, you should also check out the Castle Pete built. There are tours in the Summer. Pete is a very good friend of mine. The first photo you see on the home page shows a steel dome. I just happened to stop there one day and walked up back where he was cutting it to fit. I could see that it looked like it could slip at the end of the cut. I did not say anything and just put my feet up against it and my back against whatever wall was behind me at the time. When he finished the cut. It did pop back a little and he looked up and saw me holding it back from hitting him. I just smiled. After a few long seconds, he shut off the torch and said, "That thing could have hurt me. I'm glad you came when you did." Dandy Dave!

http://www.wingscastle.com/default.html

post-44142-143142464894_thumb.jpg

post-44142-143142464899_thumb.jpg

Edited by Dandy Dave (see edit history)

Grew up with an Oliver crawler. I still have a letter from the government permitting my great uncle to purchase it for agricultural use during the war. It was my favorite tractor to run.

Do you remember what Model? OC-3, OC-4, OC-6? They bought Cletrac in 1946. Some are considered Oliver Cletrac's.

Cletrac with a 350 chevy in it.

Wild and crazy! I had a K-20 a number of years ago. It was on the ruff side. I let a buddy have it so he could built a good one of of several. Also had a W. Serial was 22,111. And a 62" E model. Serial was like 67 if memory serves me right. Dandy Dave!

When I was about 13 years old my Grandmother gave me a Buick buzz saw that they had left on the farm when they moved into town. I never knew the year for sure. I think the generator or starter tag had patent dates up to 1919. The driveshaft had been disconnected and run to a mechanism that turned about a 30" saw blade.

They left the farm in 1940 and my Uncle worked it haying until the late '50's so the saw car probably sat for 15 years or more. And they talk about giving a kid a BB gun!

My Mother and I learned a lot about really dark caked grease on that one. In fact, every time I drive by a Kentucky Fried Chicken I always remember how well a five pack of The Colonel's wings on Saturday would get the pores of your hands all clean for church of Sunday.

Brain Fart! I just remembered that we used sugar and light machine oil in the Navy to clean our hands after boiler cleaning..............I wonder about that secret sauce.

Bernie

Guest my3buicks

I do not remember the model, I imagine it us on the letter at my Parent's house. It was yellow and had the wider stance. Oliver's were the only tractors they ever bought. When we sold the farm in 1980 we had the Crawler, a 550, 1550 and a 125