1950 DeSoto Clutch

Guest Irv D

Anyone know where I can get a NOS or rebuilt Borg & Beck clutch disk (9-1/4" diamater) for a 1950 DeSoto Fluid Drive (6 cyl) ?

My original has worn facings which is slipping. I have purchased two new clutch part sets (cover & pressure plate, clutch disk, and throw-out bearings) from Bernbaum, but the disk is different from the original. Same diamater, but hub is larger - and the height is different from the original.

When these parts were installed, I am getting a grinding of gears when shifting from nuetral into any of the gear positions - which I did not have before.

Any help appreciated.

Irv D

Jack -

I live in upstate NY, north of Albany NY. (wife is from Oregon, we just returned from there a month ago).

I am having trouble finding a place anywhere near here wher I can get my disc rebuilt - any sources in NY, VT, MASS etc. that you know of?

Thanks.........Irv

I think that any friction place would do it. I suppose you could send it out here to Ott's friction supply in Portland. Thats the only place that comes to mind right off.

I guess my next step would be Gooooogle.

Jack -

Thanks for your reply. I have been doing a search on google - will most likely come up with a place closer to us. My preference would be to get an NOS or one already resurfaced so that it could be put right in when the original is removed.

Irv

• 2 weeks later...
I never have much luck buying parts in advance. There is always something else that I need.,

Just to let everyone know who responded to my request about sources for new clutch parts or relining of the disc - for a 1950 DeSopto:

H.R. Clutches in Bensalem has all of the original (rebuilt) clutch parts - Borg & Beck - and can reline any clutch disc you may have a need for.

Anyone interested would do well to check out their website - or bookmark it for future reference

Irv

• 2 months later...

I was looking for a Borg & Beck clutch. I was able to locate a place which rebuilds the original parts - so thought I would pass along the information to anyone who may be needing original rebuilt equipment. The place is H.R.Clutches in Bensalem, PA. They are excellent people to deal with. Work is exceptional, and reasonably priced.

Irv D

Anyone know where I can get a NOS or rebuilt Borg & Beck clutch disk (9-1/4" diamater) for a 1950 DeSoto Fluid Drive (6 cyl) ?

My original has worn facings which is slipping. I have purchased two new clutch part sets (cover & pressure plate, clutch disk, and throw-out bearings) from Bernbaum, but the disk is different from the original. Same diamater, but hub is larger - and the height is different from the original.

When these parts were installed, I am getting a grinding of gears when shifting from nuetral into any of the gear positions - which I did not have before.

Any help appreciated.

Irv D

• 2 months later...

I second Ott's Friction. They redid my brake disk pads twice for my oddball 1972 Dodge Camper 9000 that that new ones were unobtainium at any price in the world. It looked like a normal 3/4 ton pickup but no other parts in the running gear were normal starting with standard 8 lug wheels would not fit.

Irv,

Good to hear you probably have the problem solved. The drive pinion on the early fluid drive transmissions were actually larger than the standard shift transmission because they weren't sure if the fluid drive was going to add unforeseen stress. The standard transmissions had smaller drive pinions. It sounds like your transmission had the smaller pinion. They may have figured out by 1950 that the larger pinion wasn't needed, I'm not sure. I had the opposite problem when I replaced the clutch on my 42. I received a standard shift Clutch disc and sent it back and got the correct one sent out. They probably won't take the chewed up one back but I think you said you bought 2 sets, you might call them up and check. It may be too late by now.

Good luck.

Ron