Front axle ID needed

Guest 38ford

Hello all. Recently I was gifted a rather odd small box trailer that had been buried in the garage of my friends mother until she passed on last year. According to legend, she took possession of it from the gentleman who had built it when his health began to fail. My friend had know this gentleman rather well and had spoken to him at some length about it many years ago and distinctly remembers being told the axle under this trailer had been scavenged from a Model A. Problem is that even with a casual glance one can tell that this certainly is not a Model A axle. Probably the most glaring problem is the built is leaf spring perches. We all know that Mr. Ford was rather fond of the transverse leaf spring in this era and beyond. Of course there are many other issues as well but suffice it to say, I am pretty well convinced this is not a Ford of any variety.

Here is what I do know about it:

1. It is a front axle assembly. The pitman arm has been welded to the axle to keep the wheels is a straight line.

2. Sports wooden spoke wheels. 10 spoke, 21" overall.

3. Stamped "Adams 77134" on the front right side of axle.

I don't know why, but it is kinda driving me nuts not know what this is supposed to be under. I am hoping someone here can eyeball it and tell me what it is for the sake of my sanity! Any other questions about it, feel free to ask.

The trailer itself is of rather limited use but I thought it might be something fun to pull behind the ol 38 Ford pickup if I ever get it done.

post-65850-143138156988_thumb.jpg

post-65850-143138156992_thumb.jpg

post-65850-143138156997_thumb.jpg

Edited by 38ford (see edit history)

Is that a cable brake system? I say that because there are some similarities to my 32 Nash drums. If you notice in 2 of the pics, there is a small removable sheetmetal cover on the drum to check the lining thickness. I also think I see a similar cover on the backing plate side, to adjust the brakes. I believe these systems were called "steeldraulic".

I have seen special adjusting pliers on ebay specifically for steeldraulic brakes, but I did not try to remember the several car makes listed besides Nash. I'd start there, if nobody has an ID on the axle.

F&J thanks for the reply. Yes, there is a small rectangular sheet metal cover at the top of the backing plate. There is also another vertical one at the rear of the backing plate which is somewhat hidden in these photos. Would be happy to get a good picture of it in the morning.

If those are Steeldraulic cable brakes: I found on AACA from a 2006 thread called "brakes 1918-1942" Maybe someone can comment on the last on the list: Dodge 4 and Standard.??? I assume they must mean Dodge had cable steeldraulic, but a year before being bought by Chrysler?

copied/pasted:

STEELDRAULIC BRAKES - were used on the:

Auburn 1931 and 1932, 8 CYI., Hupmobile after 1927

Pontiac 1928 to 1932 Nash after 1929 (some)

De Vaux 1930 Durant 1930, 1931

Oakland 1928 to 1932 Dodge 4 and Standard

I believe that Dodges had twelve spokes until 1931. I do not know what the pre-Chrysler owned Dodges had for brakes, but as soon as Chrysler owned them, they had hydraulic brakes. Try scrolling down and posting this on the Dodge Brothers forum....they would know if it is Dodge or not.

It looks very much like an axle from a late series 6-28, series 6-29, series 6-29A or series 6-30B Pontiac. The brakes were "Midland Steeldraulic" and were used on Pontiac, Nash, Hupmobile and Auburn as well as several others.

Thanks for the information guys. Here is some more info and a few more pictures.

21" wheel

12" backing plate

50-1/2" width backing plate to backing plate

This is probably the best I can do for awhile. As you can see it is nice and muddy back there and the shop is full at the moment. I would like to take a wheel off at some point to confirm the type of braking system. If anyone can think of any other relevant way to identify it let me know.

post-65850-143138157126_thumb.jpg

post-65850-143138157131_thumb.jpg

Just in case anyone was curious, I have narrowed this down to the 1930 Durant. Everything else is too big, too many lugs, too many spokes, etc. I poached these photos off the Durant Motors Automobile Club website. Thanks for the advice!

post-65850-143138159491_thumb.jpg

post-65850-143138159493_thumb.jpg