Water Pump Question

imported_Phil Knapp

I just installed a pair of Alan Whelihan's rebuilt water pumps on my '39 Zephyr. Before I add coolant and fire it up, I am wondering if anybody has had experience with "Evans waterless coolant". This coolant was in the car when I bought it, and one of the water pumps was leaking badly. Evans coolant is $25 a gallon and I hated seeing it all over my floor! Does Evans coolant damage V-12 water pumps? Also, what lubricant should be used in the water pumps. The leaky one had red stuff in it which looked like thick ATF! I would suspect that straight 30 weight motor oil would be OK. Right or wrong? confused.gif

Yeah, I saw that message but my timing is bad (as usual). I bought Alan Whelihan's rebuilt water pumps in Santa Maria last November and am just now getting around to installing them. crazy.gif I've been working trying to straighten out the top irons on my car. Take a peek at http://community.webshots.com/album/103567038MGrDsB to see how screwed up the top was and how easy (finally) the fix turned out to be. grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you didn't see it before, check my post on this site titled "A possible solution to engine overhearing", may well be a good solution, the tests were remarkable, Rolf </div></div>

I saw the post as well and may team up with a member to send Skip some work. You mention that the test (results) were remarkable. Can you share those or tell where they can be viewed? Looked at fordsrus which has changed names but didn't see any before / after type results, flows, temperatures or anything. It still sounds good but maybe could sound even better.

Dave

Do George Trickett's instructions mention any coolant types to stay away from? I don't want to cause any premature failures by using the wrong coolant. "Evans Waterless Coolant" claims that it's a specially compounded Ethelene Glychol and is safe for all cooling systems. I'm concerned because one of the water pumps had an occasional drip when I got the car last September, but it became much worse in a relatively short period of time. Enough worse so that it nearly drained the entire cooling system while I was concentrating on fixing the top configuration. I know that water pumps will sometimes leak sporadically depending on their rotational position when the engine stops. This one apparently failed completely, which they all will eventually do, but this one seemed to do it too quickly. confused.gif

My concern is that I don't want to use $25 per gallon coolant to ruin $400 worth(?) of water pumps! shocked.gif